cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer File Dispute After 90 Days

Hello,

Recently, I have a buyer who filed a dispute with Paypal for an Item I sold on Ebay. The item was listed 4 months ago, which was when the transaction was made. Ebay doesn't even keep records that long. They came back complaining the product was not as described but I can verify that there was nothing wrong with listing. Given the fact that they didn't try to return it after the purchase, within 15 days or even 30 days. How can it still be possible for them to file a dispute? Anyone have this issue before? If you know how to handle this, please let me know!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Buyer has 180 days after date of paypal payment to open a dispute.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Normally paypal will refund the buyer and tell you you'll need to contact them and work out arrangements if you want the item back... Unless you listed it as no returns then you just kiss the money goodbye...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@cajucompany wrote:

Hello,

Recently, I have a buyer who filed a dispute with Paypal for an Item I sold on Ebay. The item was listed 4 months ago, which was when the transaction was made. Ebay doesn't even keep records that long. They came back complaining the product was not as described but I can verify that there was nothing wrong with listing. Given the fact that they didn't try to return it after the purchase, within 15 days or even 30 days. How can it still be possible for them to file a dispute? Anyone have this issue before? If you know how to handle this, please let me know!

Hi Caju,

Selling anywhere that involves PP or a credit card being used for payment can come back and bite a seller regardless of the transaction being on ebay sad to say.

It was a gray area when Paypal and ebay were joined at the hip but now since they are distinctly different comapnies ebay seems to convey they have you covered but then you find out that folks can jump right past ebay and take advantage of the 180 day claim window PP has and because ebay and the post office do not have records past 3 months for shipping tracking it makes it very difficult to win even when we are entitled too.

Buyers are typically required to return the goods and pay for return shipping if they open a claim through paypal.

Mr C

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. In my case, I sold a brand new phone to the buyer. They want it unlocked but it was not listed as an unlock phone. Given that its 4 months, the value of the phone have greatly decreased. 

If paypal side with the buyer, can you still fight this with your credit card or bank?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Horrible.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@cajucompany wrote:

Thanks for the reply. In my case, I sold a brand new phone to the buyer. They want it unlocked but it was not listed as an unlock phone. Given that its 4 months, the value of the phone have greatly decreased. 

If paypal side with the buyer, can you still fight this with your credit card or bank?

Hi,

Paypal is your advocate in disputes filed through them.

Paypal is a clearing house for funds and there are laws that govern them. Buyers can use several sources of payment when using them...PP cash Balance...credit cards...or sometimes Paypal Credit.

That info is available only between the buyer and pp.

From what I understand if a buyer opens a claim with paypal then you need to either approve the return or call PP to talk about your options. In the past Paypal typically requires the buyer that opened the dispute to pay for the return of the goods. If the goods are returned within the time frame allowed by PP then you basically have to refund the buyer.

Ocassionally PP will back a seller if the goods returned are not in working order but others will have to help you through that step.

Hope this helps.

Mr C

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Was it sold as a no returns item?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Normally paypal will refund the buyer and tell you you'll need to contact them and work out arrangements if you want the item back... Unless you listed it as no returns then you just kiss the money goodbye...

Thats not how paypal works at all and the sellers return policy is not relevant. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@cajucompany wrote:

You should call Paypal and point out that the phone was not sold as unlocked, but it may not do you any good.  And no, your credit card and/or bank are not involved in this and have no ability to get involved, nor would they want to.   

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

If that isn't the way it works please feel free to explain to the OP how it does work....

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

If that isn't the way it works please feel free to explain to the OP how it does work....

IN a PayPal dispute they will require the buyer to return the item the buyer would have to pay return shipping.   Having a no return policy does not matter with PayPal just like it does not matter with eBay.  The buyer is still required to return the item for a refund 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

@cajucompanywrote:

Hello,

Hi Caju,

Selling anywhere that involves PP or a credit card being used for payment can come back and bite a seller regardless of the transaction being on ebay sad to say.

It was a gray area when Paypal and ebay were joined at the hip but now since they are distinctly different comapnies ebay seems to convey they have you covered but then you find out that folks can jump right past ebay and take advantage of the 180 day claim window PP has and because ebay and the post office do not have records past 3 months for shipping tracking it makes it very difficult to win even when we are entitled too.

Buyers are typically required to return the goods and pay for return shipping if they open a claim through paypal.

Mr C

Now Paypal is offering 12 free return shipping per year , each item up to 30$.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Was PP offering that in 2017 when the thread was active?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here.

Thanks.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 15 of 15
latest reply