cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Demanding shipping services not offered for a mistake scam ?

I recently sold a $450.00 statue,

After Minutes the buyer was very persistent that shipping price was  to elevated and wanted me to ship out the most “cheapest way” via fedex when listing indicated we shipped only via usps priory mail we never offer fedex shipping option, and demanded to ship without insurance and with original fragile package that item came in withouth packing with care. Do to is fragility I declined but I did offer to return the buyer extra shipping fees or extras as I always do to all my buyer if there are extra shipping fees,

As I was returning his extra shipping fees I mistakenly send full refund him all his  payment and provided shipping label (luckily  the package was not shipped out)  

I immediately contacted the buyer never  responded  but I managed to cancel the order,

3 days later  he responded ( I imagine he was hoping the item will be travelling with tracking info  provided even thou  when I indicated item was still in my possesion ) 

buyer response: 

Ok, after jumping through hoops of fire with eBay, I was finally able to get ALL of my refund returned to me. Unfortunately, when you refunded the money, it went back to the ORIGINAL form of payment, which happened to be:

$411.37 back to a gift card
$53.21 back to my PayPal account
$38.49 back to my bank account
$42.91 back to a coupon that has now expired

I was on the phone with eBay all day today trying to get the $42.91 for the coupon back. I finally received a response from eBay at 8 PM in which they gave me a voucher for $42.91 to put towards another purchase. So, now I am ready to REPURCHASE this item. How do I go about doing that? Where do I do this? Needless to say, I am quite upset at how this entire transaction has taken place and how inconvenient this has been for me. I truly feel that I should be compensated for all the drama that this has created. If I am paying for the shipping, then I do NOT want you to use the United States Postal Service and Provided Me with Free Fedex services and don’t insure the package.

To me this sounds very odd and fishy, apperently he does not want me to ship with care and neither insured the item , Can someone guide me with this issue and how can I Respond to him please keep in mind he still has the option for feedback , Ask of now i have not responded, since  I feel like Im being extort some kind  type of way  wich i understand is my mistake but i have to follow his unreasonable demands for a mistake  ? and needless to say  I Have already paid for shipping service USPS label wich it was voided but still have not recived the founds for this... and For some reason This seems Very odd ,,, I not sure what are the buyers true intessions but his actions and demands are really odd,, ...  

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Your buyer has no right to "demand" you change the terms of the sale as stated on your listing after they purchase from you.  YOu are NOT required to negotiate ANY change with them.  

Just keep it simple.  Reply to them politely and professionally and let them know you will ship it as stated in the listing in which they purchased from.

What extra shipping fees?  Did you charge your buyer MORE than what you stated in your listing?  That is a real NO NO if you did that.

Boy you sure got yourself into a mess here.  If I were you, I wouldn't want to sell to this buyer either.  I would take a risk and put them on my Blocked Bidder list and I'd inform them the item is no longer available for them.  They may end up getting mad and posting a negative feedback on your account.  But with what you have described, I think while I wouldn't like it, I'd prefer the negative to potentially losing that money or having even more problems with this buyer.

If you decide to sell to them or not and if they neg you, come on back and lets see if we can help you with that too.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 63
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Your buyer has no right to "demand" you change the terms of the sale as stated on your listing after they purchase from you.  YOu are NOT required to negotiate ANY change with them.  

Just keep it simple.  Reply to them politely and professionally and let them know you will ship it as stated in the listing in which they purchased from.

What extra shipping fees?  Did you charge your buyer MORE than what you stated in your listing?  That is a real NO NO if you did that.

Boy you sure got yourself into a mess here.  If I were you, I wouldn't want to sell to this buyer either.  I would take a risk and put them on my Blocked Bidder list and I'd inform them the item is no longer available for them.  They may end up getting mad and posting a negative feedback on your account.  But with what you have described, I think while I wouldn't like it, I'd prefer the negative to potentially losing that money or having even more problems with this buyer.

If you decide to sell to them or not and if they neg you, come on back and lets see if we can help you with that too.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

This ^^^^^

i think this buyer will be nothing but trouble. Which would be worse? Losing $450 or getting a negative feedback. 

No brainer

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 3 of 63
latest reply

Do NOT sell to him, he is looking to scam you. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 4 of 63
latest reply

Hi, insurance is for the seller’s protection and if you are accustomed to insuring a fragile or expensive item, then wild horses wouldn’t stop me from purchasing it. It sounds like she thinks she is paying for it, which should not happen anyway as it’s against eBay policy to charge that expense to the buyer. Overall, what she is requesting of you isn’t reasonable. I would let her know you regret you cannot accommodate any change to your terms of sale, if it were my decision. Good luck.

Message 5 of 63
latest reply

Thanks for the very helpful reply

I personally did not demand or charge extra shipping fees however shipping was less than the amount stated on the listing since I Live in Ca buyer shipping address was texas, (less shipping cost than the posted amount on listing) I had not problems refunded extra shipping fees if shipping is less I usually do it all the time

this time I made mistake on changing the refund amount (its normal I Believe I'm only human) 

what really alarm me he was messaging non stop asking for his extra shipping fees , and on the same day even thou label printed out  when mistake happen I messaged him 6-8 time he never got back to me until 3rd day(assuming he was hoping I have shipped out the item) 

I personally  thank you guys for helpful replies  stating right away he’s  trouble , as you guys mention will rather take the neg feedback than future problems and loosing money , as suggested also.

I will not resale or relist the item,  I would rather not reply to him either since as I know scammer love the reply 1-1 reply game hoping he will get tired of writing in the air , since I believe I have no obligation to do so since listing got cancel  ? . I added buyer asap to  my block list

Message 6 of 63
latest reply

PS: this is the first buyer message before the refund misunderstanding:
Included with the payment to you for this item, I wrote a notation regarding the shipment for this item. In your listing, you stated you would be utilizing the United States Postal Service for the shipment of such a fragile and extremely valuable piece of merchandise. You also quoted a cost of $94.99 for shipment and indicated you "do not charge anything extra for packaging, handling or my time" (see photo). With the dimensions listed on the item's original box (see photo), I contacted FedEx and asked how much it would cost to have the package sent. The cost for a 22 lbs. package sent FedEx Ground (3 business days) from Spring Valley, CA 91977 to San Antonio, TX 78216 is $42.12 (DO NOT INSURED). There is an Authorized FedEx Ship Center called THE MAIL STORE located at 9740 Campo Rd, Spring Valley, CA 91977 where the packaged can be shipped. Or for your convenience, FedEx can pickup the package from you FREE of charge. This will be easier & more cost effective for both of us. $52 cheaper to be exact.

- I reply i would ship with care and that the item will be be double box weighting 35lb and will pack with care placing proper care and that for the moment i cannot ship via feedex as he wishes since it was not indicated in the listing (exct) (ect)

and then well that when everything when wrong :*(
Message 7 of 63
latest reply

Agree with you no brainer,,,
what crushes me I work so hard for outstanding feedback but then there people like this on eBay 😞 , but then Again I cannot take a heavy loss
Message 8 of 63
latest reply

Thanks
tottally agree 100% scammer I imagine he has done this in the past
Message 9 of 63
latest reply

Thanks for the best of luck
I think he believes if I would of shipped out without insurance and is in a fragile box without care he will be saving money .( but yet again packing without care = more problems and seller loss )
Thanks for your point of view totally unreasonable demands if they are not listed in the shipping option on listing
Message 10 of 63
latest reply

Feedback is basically irrelevant.

Negs don't count with eBay* against your selling account.

You might want to Cancel the sale entirely, even if it means taking a Defect. If your selling account is otherwise clean, it may be worthwhile compared to losing the item and the $450.

Your choice. Not one I would like to make.

I'm kinda hoping he asked you to ship to a different address, because "problem with address" is one reason for cancellation that does not attract Defects.

But any way of losing this customer would be good. This is definitely a failed transaction.

*Some buyers do think FB is important and won't buy from a seller with poor FB. However, that seems to be FB below 50%. And most think 97% is terrific, instead of someone who is about to be kicked off the site for the Defects buyers can't see.

Message 11 of 63
latest reply

You're dealing with a ebay upgrader they have the same figure except its broken. If you follow their advice it arrives they claim its broken and send photo and uninsured they know USPS won't come looking around. Avoid at all costs...

Message 12 of 63
latest reply

"As I was returning his extra shipping fees I mistakenly send full refund ...  the package was not shipped out... I managed to cancel the order,"

"he does not want me to ship with care and neither insured the item , Can someone guide me with this issue and how can I Respond to him please keep in mind he still has the option for feedback '

You've issued a full refund and cancelled the original transaction. The only response this loeer deserves is a buyer block. I would block and ignore. If he negs you, write a carefully crafted response to reassure future buyers. Come back here if you need help with that.

Message 13 of 63
latest reply

I'd back out of that sale no matter how many dings it got me and I'd do it immediately.

BBL and don't contact.

Anything that messy isn't worth the hassle.

Message 14 of 63
latest reply

I find it HIGHLY ODD that the buyer mentions how fragile the item is with one breath and in the next, tells you to NOT insure it at all.

Agreed, block (which  you have) and do not engage in conversation with him at all.  If any more messages come through, ignore them and/or bring them to eBay's attention (may be able to report using Report a Buyer, not sure).

~M

Message 15 of 63
latest reply