cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy it now and offer must be separated

I hate Ebay includes Best offer to Buy it now . There are many low ballers in the world who seem not to know the value of item they are looking for . Ebay must separates the option " Best offer " out of " Buy it now "

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@*madison wrote:

Umm forgive my ignorance, but I can't think of any place but yard sales and flea markets in the US economy that allow you to make offers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So. is it against the law to make an offer in a store ?

I run a B&M store, I get offers daily.

When I'm shopping in stores I make offers, and sometimes my offers are accepted. Yes, sometimes it works. Last month I walked into a TV store. The TV I wanted cost 1,050, I told the sales guy I only had 850 in my pocket ( I was lying ) and I said I will look elsewhere. The sales guy took the 850, and I took the TV home.  Nice deal.

In the American economy it is not standard practice to make offers to shopkeepers.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

It's not standard practice in the UK, but some of us still do it, and sometimes it works.

He who dares, wins.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I still don't see your point most businesses in America do not accept offers on their items.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been to America several times, it's a very big place.

So, I highly doubt you know that "most" businesses in America do not accept offers on their items. You have not shopped in most businesses in America. And you don't know if they will accept an offer or not unless you make one.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

It's not standard practice in the UK, but some of us still do it, and sometimes it works.

He who dares, wins.

You can absolutely get good discounts at big box stores on large appliances, especially if they're already at closeout prices.  Our last refrigerator was regularly $1000, marked down at a closeout price of $750. Asked the department manager (this was at Lowes) if he could take $550 for it. He said sure, if it's cash and not credit. We had our new refrigerator the next day...delivered free. We bought our washer and dryer the same way.

Would I try this at the grocery store? No

Would I try this at Walmart on larger items that were already marked down? Probably, it can't hurt to ask and sometimes they will say yes just to get the item out of the store.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

I still don't see your point most businesses in America do not accept offers on their items.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I highly doubt you know that "most" businesses in America do not accept offers on their items. You have not shopped in most businesses in America. And you don't know if they will accept an offer or not unless you make one.

I agree.

Most think Walmart, Target, or whatever, but there are probably many independent stores that will take less  than the tagged price for something.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

I only make offers when I'm paying cash.

And to help the sales person make up their mind, I get the cash out of my pocket and let them see and smell it. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

Funny, have you been to MOST places? I actually have been to every state, and multiple towns, not many businesses take offers.

The fact is, you and the puppy just want to troll the thread, thats fine. I really dont care. You havent changed a bit since I first logged in to the forums years ago, and neither has Sib. No wonder the old timers are all gone, the attitude of this place stinks

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Some posters have agreed with me, so you're outnumbered.

I suppose that's why you called me a troll.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I have a friend who asked for and got $100 off a Microsoft Surface at Best Buy last week. Many stores are known to dicker on items like appliances. It's not unknown in the US.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I have a friend who asked for and got $100 off a Microsoft Surface at Best Buy last week. Many stores are known to dicker on items like appliances. It's not unknown in the US.

Since you mentioned Best Buy, I once got a deep discount on a printer there because I asked. It had a small cosmetic blemish. The manager revealed to me that she was allowed to sell certain items at a discount if asked.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@daktran wrote:

I hate Ebay includes Best offer to Buy it now . There are many low ballers in the world who seem not to know the value of item they are looking for . Ebay must separates the option " Best offer " out of " Buy it now "

Fails to understand how to use the features of eBay.  Complains instead.

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@alturiaoct7_9 wrote:

@siberians_forever wrote:

@daktran wrote:

Absolutely disagree...hear me out...

If you actually ran a Real Business Store you would get offers like this on a daily basis.

Just set up you listings to Auto Reject any offers less than what you are willing to receive...done.

The fact you are getting offers indicates folks are at least interested in your items, so be happy with that : )

Sib

Umm forgive my ignorance, but I can't think of any place but yard sales and flea markets in the US economy that allow you to make offers.

As for running a "real business", I'm glad your business is pretend, but many folks use eBay as a " real business " and they don't entertain offers on their items either.

Over the many decades I've been on this planet, I have made offers below the listed price on items at regular B & M stores adn surprisingly enough my offers were accepted.  The worst thing that could ever happen is the seller (retailer) can do is  say no.  My most recent experience was  at HD where I bought a new Genie $198.00 garage door opener for $158.07 (including sales tax).  Have similar experience at retailer like Sears, Carson Pirie Scott, etc.

Relative to eBay when a seller creates  a fixed price listing they have the option to select a Best Offer option and the seller  can set the parameters of  the offers that they will accept & those  that that they will auto decline.  I have used the Best Offer over time as some buyers like the  'thrill of haggling" a common think in many parts of the world.  On occassions I have received an offer on  items that did not offer a Best Offer  option.  To me this was a good thing as the prospective buyer is interested in my item so if theier offer was  too low I would counter offer, if there offer was reasonable I might accept if  I have had the item "on the shelf" for a while.

I have read claims by sellers that eBay is automatically adding the  Best Offer to  the sellers fixed price listing - maybe yes or maybe no.  I have been selling on eBay for the last 8 years & that has not ever happened to me.   So when  a seller posts a rant about this I tend to think the seller might have  pushed the wrong button when they created their listing.  Some people find it hard to admit they did in fact or could have made an error.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

I only make offers when I'm paying cash.

And to help the sales person make up their mind, I get the cash out of my pocket and let them see and smell it. Smiley Happy

Smiley SurprisedSmiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

Relative to eBay when a seller creates  a fixed price listing they have the option to select a Best Offer option and the seller  can set the parameters of  the offers that they will accept & those  that that they will auto decline.  I have used the Best Offer over time as some buyers like the  'thrill of haggling" a common think in many parts of the world.  On occassions I have received an offer on  items that did not offer a Best Offer  option.  To me this was a good thing as the prospective buyer is interested in my item so if theier offer was  too low I would counter offer, if there offer was reasonable I might accept if  I have had the item "on the shelf" for a while.

I have read claims by sellers that eBay is automatically adding the  Best Offer to  the sellers fixed price listing - maybe yes or maybe no.  I have been selling on eBay for the last 8 years & that has not ever happened to me.   So when  a seller posts a rant about this I tend to think the seller might have  pushed the wrong button when they created their listing.  Some people find it hard to admit they did in fact or could have made an error.

FWIW, yes, eBay is very definitely adding the BO to seller's listings. In the same way they are only allowing a GTC duration. This ONLY happens on sellers using the new Quick Listing Tool, and the reason you've never seen it because you are NOT a new seller.

The seller has NO WAY to either remove the BO or change the duration.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Would that be visual and olefactory persuasion?Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 32
latest reply