cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Selling Practices for Local Pickup Only Auctions.

I've sold 1000's of widgets on Ebay but I've never done a local pickup only auction. What are the best selling practices?:

1. Should I insist on cash upon pickup or Paypal shortly after time of purchase. (PP IPR doesn't look like an option)

2. How can I enforce cash upon pickup if Ebay forces me to choose an electronic payment method for the listing?

3. Is it reasonable to ask for a good faith PP deposit prior to pickup of the item.

What are your best known selling practice recommendations for this style of selling?

TIA

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Take a camera photo of their state license ID. You can also have a witnesses with you while you run a video of them picking it up and looking it over.

Make sure you let them know on the eBay messages before they come about the video and to bring their ID and add it on the document they sign(mentioned by another poster) that they accept that they will be videotaped in case you have to go to court later because they lie later that they never received it OR they don't return it(or don't return it in same condition) after going to PayPal/their CC/ bank to dispute for a refund.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

And you want to say verbally to the buyer the item(s) are not returnable & refundable for any reason AND add that they accept those conditions on the document to be signed.  

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Aren't you guys going off the deep end suggesting the creation of videos of the transaction?

Paypal is out of the picture with local pick up and is Ebay really going to review videos if there's a dispute? It sounds like Ebay raises the bar in their involvement in local pickup only disputes.

Maybe this idea has merit for a risky high end transaction but it seems a bit much.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

The seller usually selling high designer items for n court already knows how to protect themselves, but the average Joe once in a while selling valuable items doesn't. What I'm starting is for COURT ONLY(preferably small claims without needing a lawyer. Their state's maximum for small claims varies by state which they should look up) purposes in case anyone is willing to fight in court after being defrauded. The more evidence you have in court, the easier you win. They may not even have to go to court. They can just THREATEN to go to court with all these evidences along with their police reports if the scammer doesn't give them back the money or item.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

That should read:

The seller usually selling high designer items already knows how to protect themselves, but the average Joe once in a while selling valuable items doesn't. What I'm stating ....

Hard to type on a tiny keyboard on my smartphone!!!

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Actually, scratch off the police reports part.  They'll just say it's a civil matter for court.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

so your document should be like this below typed:

CONTRACT AGREEMENT

I agree to this business transaction dated (insert date including year) with eBay seller fictitious name: (insert username) whose real name is (insert real name) with residential address at (insert address). The place of this business transaction is (insert address). I agree to be videotaped with witnesses present and I agree to show the seller my ID before I can purchase the item(s) for sale which is (insert the title & description of the items here). I agree that once I purchase this item, then it is non-refundable and also non-returnable.

eBay buyer fictitious name
(type in buyer username) whose real name is (type or print buyer name)

_______________ _____
buyer signature date

(buyer signs in their name above)

If the buyer won't let you take a photo I'd of their ID, then just copy their address and license number details by hand.  You will need this info in court too.

If they don't agree to these conditions, don't make the sale.  Good Luck!!

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

I made edits

so your OFFICIAL document should be like this below typed:

CONTRACT AGREEMENT

I agree to this business transaction dated (insert date including year) with eBay seller fictitious name: (insert username) whose real name is (insert real name) with residential address at (insert address). The place of this business transaction is (insert address). I agree to be videotaped with witnesses present and I agree to show the seller my ID before I can purchase the item(s) for sale which is (insert the title & description of the items here). I agree that once I purchase this item, then it is non-refundable and also non-returnable.

eBay buyer fictitious name
(type in buyer username) whose real name is (type or print buyer name)

_______________ _____ _________
buyer signature; date; buyer address

(buyer signs in their name above with date and BUYER'S residential address)

If the buyer won't let you take a photo I'd of their ID, then just copy their address and license number details by hand.  You will need this info in court too as well as copies of the eBay ad and all eBay messages.

If they don't agree to these conditions, don't make the sale.  Good Luck!!

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Oh and it would be good to add in the purchase price of the item like below:

......and I agree to show the seller my ID before I can purchase the item(s) for sale  (insert the title & description of the items here). The price of the item(s) is $________ (type it in numbers and words) 

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

and you need to add 2 witnesses at the bottom to sign.

So after the buyer signs,

type in:

_________ _____
witness signature; date

________ _____
witness signature; date

As the EBAY seller (insert eBay username) in this contract, below is my signature

________ _____
YOUR signature; date

Have the witnesses sign after the buyer signs. You sign after them. Do not have anyone sign before the buyer signs. It has to be done when everyone's there.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

The OP has gotten the resolution they needed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

If you can't get witnesses or you want a more official document that stands up better in court (in case your witnesses won't show up to court or don't stand up well to questions in court), then just meet the buyer at a notary and have each page notarized.   You pay a small amount of $$s to have the notary witness & stamp the document as an official witness.  

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

I'm putting this all down for everybody else who wants to do a pickup transaction and wants to protect themselves against scammers.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@goldenmeowie wrote:

I'm putting this all down for everybody else who wants to do a pickup transaction and wants to protect themselves against scammers.

I think we all have the idea between your many posts.  I know you are trying to help.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

If at all possible (and the item is small enough), meet them at a public place with people around and surveillance cameras.  If the item is large, have someone help you take it OUTSIDE so the person doesn't have to come in your house.  They can pay in cash when they arrive in full.  They wont claim INR and you wont file UID because you got paid and they got their item.  You are gonna get a monthly invoice from Ebay for your FVF anyway that you can pay at the end of the month.  Ive done pickups dozens of times.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply