cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being forced to pay for a return shipping label?!

I don't want to pay for a buyer's return shipping label. I feel like the buyer is lying about why they want to return it. I responded literally ten minutes after I received their return request, to which I messaged them that once I receive the item, I will refund them. Then they responded back with, "approve return or I will wait for eBay to step in" 

Hmm, sounds like they've done this before. "Wait for eBay to step in" Haha. So, why is eBay forcing me to purchase a return label for them? I simply don't want to. Do I not get a choice? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

No.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Yes you have a choice, provide return label and hopefully get the item back, then refund the buyer or do not provide a label and refund the buyer. Either way the buyer gets a refund.

You do not want to wait for e-bay to step in and refund, you will get a huge defect for that and a couple of those and you will be banned from selling permanently.

lisa5768
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@havemyfaves wrote:

I don't want to pay for a buyer's return shipping label. I feel like the buyer is lying about why they want to return it. I responded literally ten minutes after I received their return request, to which I messaged them that once I receive the item, I will refund them. Then they responded back with, "approve return or I will wait for eBay to step in" 

Hmm, sounds like they've done this before. "Wait for eBay to step in" Haha. So, why is eBay forcing me to purchase a return label for them? I simply don't want to. Do I not get a choice? 

It doesn't matter if the buyer is lying or not. If the buyer opens a INAD case, you will eventually have to accept the return and refund once the item is returned to you. Ebay has been known to refund the buyer, in addition to letting them keep the item. If ebay has to step in, you get a defect on your account. You don't want that.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If buyer opened a return for not as described reason no you do not have choice.You pay for a return label or ebay will force you to under buyer protection.Plus if you don't accept return request and buyer asks ebay to step in your account gets a defect which if you get others can lead to sanctions.If you feel buyer's reason for return was buyer lying after you receive return and refund you can use report buyer and file an appeal but it is very have to prove buyer is lying rather than you just disagree with them.Photos and video prove nothing to ebay as they can be faked or altered,nor does your history or feedback/reputation

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I'll just eat the $8 and hope it makes it back to me, in its original form. 

Will the buyer still be able to "get eBay to step in" if I've sent them a shipping label? What if they don't return it, and claim that they did? 😕  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@havemyfaves wrote:

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I'll just eat the $8 and hope it makes it back to me, in its original form. 

Will the buyer still be able to "get eBay to step in" if I've sent them a shipping label? What if they don't return it, and claim that they did? 😕  

The only way they can "claim" they did is if they having tracking to prove it.

If they don't send anything back you will not have to pay for the label and you get to keep the original payment.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi, you left out a part. Did the buyer open a Not As Described case? If they did not, then the matter falls to your return policy. I looked at one of your completed listings and it says buyer is responsible for return shipping. Under those terms, you do not have to provide a label. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you, everyone! Your help is much appreciated. I feel like a total newbie for not knowing this sooner.

I paid for the label, and sent the buyer an overly-friendly message letting them know I've sent them their prepaid label for their convenience. And then I gagged.

Now, hoping I get the item back in its original form.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

They actually selected "Arrived Damaged" 

Not sure how a loose thread equals arrived damaged, but whatever. I still prompted me to pay for a label.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply