cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Price Numbers, Price Range Numbers are they accurate?

I relisted a shirt this morning.  The shirt has a Price NWT of 24.99.  I am selling it for 19.99 BIN. When I enter my price, I see next to the price a average sold price, Sold Price range and a Free Shipping Percentage.  On my shirt the ebay Sold Price range is 0.99-$1060.00.  I see these numbers more and more and just seem ridiculous.  So ebay is saying that someone bought a shirt like mine for $1060.00.  Does anyone else consider these numbers when pricing their items.  For me it is absolutely useless

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

eBay is saying that an auction for that shirt got bid up to $1060.  Almost certainly it wasn't paid for. I prefer to do my pricing research in the Completed and Sold listings.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

eBay tells me all the time that I have 0% chance of selling my items because of my prices. I ship everyday lol don't pay attention to those numbers.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I base my price on my cost.  While it is  nice to see the price range, I have to refer to my cost of product  as some sellers may have a different cost when pricing their items.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@luxgoods wrote:

Does anyone else consider these numbers when pricing their items.  For me it is absolutely useless

Those numbers are only as good as eBay's ability to pick comparable items to compare to.

When an item has a UPC or a manufacturer's part number, they are probably very accurate.

But for a shirt (or any other item without an unambiguous identifier) , I suspect they could be entirely useless.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Not useful. You should know your business better than eBay. If you have access to Terrapeak through seller hub use that, Can go back a year. Sold listings of course helpful as well.

Equally important, what are other sellers asking for the same item? Can you be a little cheaper?

I am sure eBay's algorithm is not that great and basically is doing a keyword search.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@luxgoods wrote:

.  So ebay is saying that someone bought a shirt like mine for $1060.00.  Does anyone else consider these numbers when pricing their items.  For me it is absolutely useless

Sold price range. Ebay Fake news

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Not useful. You should know your business better than eBay. If you have access to Terrapeak through seller hub use that, Can go back a year. Sold listings of course helpful as well.

Equally important, what are other sellers asking for the same item? Can you be a little cheaper?

I am sure eBay's algorithm is not that great and basically is doing a keyword search.

Again - what number does ebay send to Terapeak or Worthlesspoint? The actual best offer amount or the BIN amount that is shown on the listing even if it was sold with best offer and the price is lower?

If it's the latter, the numbers are useless.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I do not pay much attension to these numbers. Possibly what has the item actually sold for recently( see sold completed listings). More importantly for me what did I pay for the item and what profit do I want to make. Many factors can go into for what you can sell an item.  Time fame how fast do you want to sell the item. What is the conditon of your item versus someone else. Is your presentation description better. Has the availability changed. I am very strong believer in the presentation of your item can greatly affect what the item can be sold. Yes I realize on alot of generic type items this does not hold true. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I knew someone would miss the point.  I have been selling on ebay for 18 years and I do know my business as well as other things better than ebay.  The point was why put this useless information when it has no use?  It's the same with all the ridiculous item specifics that they have come up with.  

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@luxgoods wrote:

The point was why put this useless information when it has no use?

Again, it is not useless in all cases.

And what is useless to you might have some value to others.

It is very hard for an algorithm to accurately decide whether its own output meets the very subjective "For me it is absolutely useless" standard. 

On the other hand, it is extremely easy for most people to just ignore it if they don't find it useful.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yes. Useless nonsense.

We often sell in lots. Say, a lot of 3 or 4 books. There is a spot in the listing to mark it as a lot and to note how many items are in the lot. Does ebay pay attention to their own listing form?

Nope.

When we lit a lot ebay still assumes it is only one item. And the system bots think we are trying to rob customers and depress our views because of it.

We've brought this directly to ebay's attention several times. But it's never been fixed that we can see.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The average sold price may include other similar items, this would account for the price discrepancy. Notice when you click the link theres a menu and you can select time range, condition, etc, to filter thru the results. Sometimes the info provided is helpful, other times not so much if its not reflecting the actual product you're selling. But the menu shows which items they're referring too.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

it's useless if it is not accurate so why bother?  unbelievable!!!!!!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Without an exact UPS code Ebay is just telling you they don't know the price as it is actually impossible to know. It can very anywhere from $0 to a million. Always go to sold/completed item to do your research.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply