cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention: Seller Account Hacking Scam that eBay Claims they Cannot Resolve

I recently had a situation come up with an item I sold, and want to make others aware to hopefully save someone else from this situation.

A few months ago eBay called to inform me that my account had been compromised and that they were suspending it. I followed the process to unlock my account and reset my password, and thought the issue had been corrected, and no harm was done to my account. All that I could see that the hacker attempted to do is create a listing for a small dollar item. However, when I recently made a sale, I discovered that I did not receive payment for the sale.

I contacted eBay and was told that the individual who hacked my account had found a way that is not visible in any of my account settings information to have payments from the sale of my items sent to his Paypal account. I was told that I would have to contact Paypal to get the payment moved to the correct account. When I contacted Paypal, the representative told me that they cannot do anything to rectify the situation since all of the fraudulent activity happened on the eBay side, and they have no visibility to the security compromise that caused the issue. I then contacted eBay again and was then told by two more eBay representatives (including a supervisor) that there is nothing that they can do and that I would have to contact Paypal. They also suggested that I have the buyer of my item report the transaction as fraudulent and then reissue an invoice to the buyer. So long story short, I still don't have my money and am being asked to inconvenience my buyer to help me get it.

The setting that the hacker was able to change in order to get money from my sold items is available for change in a location with little visibility to the account holder. All of my account info reflected that all transactions were going through my correct Paypal account. I received the email from eBay saying that payment was received for the sale, and that it was ok to ship; and when I printed the shipping label, it was charged to my correct Paypal account. Even the eBay security person I spoke with explained that the fix for getting my correct Paypal info to receive payments going forward is to create a new listing and change one very small entry to my Paypal email address within the listing.

Just wanting to make others aware of this since it occurred despite me taking measures to ensure my account had not been compromised, and since eBay is claiming that there is nothing they can do to get me the money for my sale.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It's important any time your account is hacked to change all passwords associated with eBay, PayPal, your e-mail address, and any accounts that may share the same password. In addition, you need to check all your registered personal information - address, automatic payments, and the payment address on your individual listings since it always defaults to the last one used.

You can ask your buyer if they're able to reverse their PayPal payment. If you don't want to do that then you can cancel the order and ask the buyer to re-purchase. Set up a fixed price listing for them and if you want you can offer a discount for the inconvenience. By canceling the transaction you will get a defect on your account, but you can survive with one defect.

You said you printed the shipping label - did you ship it yet?

Good night and good luck
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

"I received the email from eBay saying that payment was received for the sale, and that it was ok to ship;"

Isn't it your paypal account that would say that payment was received and OK to ship? Ebay doesn't receive payment, and they aren't the ones to give the OK to ship. Paypal is.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Are you talking about the part of the listing that contains the email address that the paypal payment is going to?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

We need a little more information in order to understand what allows this to be possible.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@ohnojoey wrote:

"I received the email from eBay saying that payment was received for the sale, and that it was ok to ship;"

Isn't it your paypal account that would say that payment was received and OK to ship? Ebay doesn't receive payment, and they aren't the ones to give the OK to ship. Paypal is.

Well, they both do, in slightly different forms. PayPal accepts the payment and has that "Okay to ship" verbiage, but they also send a Paid status over to eBay. They (eBay) in turn will flag the sold item with a "Ship by [date here]" indicator, directing the seller to get it on its way, and will also show it as paid. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"I contacted eBay and was told that the individual who hacked my account had found a way that is not visible in any of my account settings information to have payments from the sale of my items sent to his Paypal account. "

The only place to do this is within the listing itself. It's possible (tho unlikely IMO) that eBay populated an old email address here.

You can thank your lucky stars that you have the most inept and unintelligent hacker ever, as they targeted an account and are siphoning off payment from someone who rarely sells anything. You'd think they would want to target someone who actually lists more than one item a year.

Did you check your listing's email address? You can do this by clicking sell similar and going down to that section. If you did get a payment, find the transaction ID (should be in order details) and call to see where PayPal shows it went to. Good luck!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Yep, item had already shipped by the time I figured out what happened. Filed a BBB complaint and it thankfully looks like I will at least get the proceeds from the sale.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes, that is correct.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I am referring to the email that eBay sends stating that your item has been paid for.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Unfortunately, the buyer is not being responsive either....
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I wish I knew... eBay is blaming me for the security issue. Saying that I must had clicked on something in social media (which I don't use) or in a fake email from eBay (which I have not received).
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yes, they did that within the listing itself. How they did it, is when they hacked my account, they made a phony listing for a cheap item with their PayPal email as the one that payment would be sent to. The next listing I made then automatically populated with that email address.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply