cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking Advice: Selling a Celebrity Photograph

Hi, folks. My sister attended a book signing by Andy Warhol in Boston in the late 1970s, and she took a Polaroid picture of him and still has it. 

Is it possible to sell this photo on eBay? Would any licensing problems arise? I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you. 

Sincerely, 
Clare Higgins 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@higgeroo wrote:

Hi, folks. My sister attended a book signing by Andy Warhol in Boston in the late 1970s, and she took a Polaroid picture of him and still has it. 

Is it possible to sell this photo on eBay? Would any licensing problems arise? I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you. 

I wouldn't think it's a problem, given that it's an original photo of a public figure at a public event. The fact that it's a one-off original Polaroid photo, and not simply a 35mm print that might have been the 100th copy from the same negative, is a bonus. (If she photographed him signing her book, and still has the book, that would add even more interest.)

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@higgeroo 

This is a great question and I agree with poster @a_c_green .

I sold some Polaroids photos of an extremely famous singer and he in turn listed them on ebay and sold them.

Polaroid photos belong to the user of the camera. The only thing I have is regrets. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much!

Cheers, 

Clare

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much. 

Best, 

Clare

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If it were a problem the Paparazzi wouldn't exist. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I bet a lot of celebrities wish they didn't! Anyway, great answer, and thank you!

Clare

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Can't imagine it having much value.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply