cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a Seller I can see why Ebay is failing

It is rare that I purchase more than shipping Supplies online. I had the need to purchase 2 items in the last couple of weeks for my personal use. One was an electric skillet which never arrived, never had a tracking # and seller canceled saying it was lost in shipment, so I ordered the same one from the river site for less money and received in 2 days. The next item was a camera , which was supposed to have all accessories and be 16 mp. It was 7 mp and the charger did not have the cord. This camera was ship first class postage using a priority bubble mailer and box wrapped in brown paper. Seller stated he could not find the cord after I received it and could not use it. If he had contacted me prior and told me about the cord I would have been fine with canceling. That way it would have saved me a lot of time.  

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Sellers who are not providing the best customer service here hurt everyone else who perform well.  They drive away the business everyone here needs.  They need to get it together.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

What exactly is your definition of "failing"?

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

My definition would be failing compared to similar companies in similar markets. eBay has always been more profitable that most other Marketplace sites (including Amazon) but the growth which has been fairly modest for years has now reached anemic levels.

The OP is spot on, the quality of sellers on eBay is HORRIBLE, yes there are plenty of good and plenty more that are great but the number that are truly bad is astounding. It only takes one or maybe two bad experiences and that buyer is GONE!

I've spoken to plenty of people who had at one time or another spent money on eBay but no longer do so. In virtually every case it's because of shoddy treatment by sellers.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

I have been on Ebay forever. I used to sell every item I listed, now I am lucky to sell enough to make it worth the struggle here. I sell more on another site than I do here. I do feel it is because of the lack of professional service of numerous sellers. I am not saying the majority but it is a good amount. I will think twice before buying here again. 

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Evening,

Personally I buy almost nothing here anymore and have even cut back at other places as well.

The main reason I do not buy much here anymore is that I don't want to have something drop shipped from Amazon...so I go there instead.

The second is that I really don't want Ebay's MBG...I want my purchase to go smoothly...Having to use the MBG, that ebay thinks is so important, is one of the main reasons not to buy here because it's such a hassle and using it means there is a problem.

Thirdly, gas is cheap. I am back to driving 40/50 miles or more one way to a supplier to put my hands on the goods I need assuring myself I can get the things I need and get on with making a living.

Mr C

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

The OP is spot on, the quality of sellers on eBay is HORRIBLE, yes there are plenty of good and plenty more that are great but the number that are truly bad is astounding. It only takes one or maybe two bad experiences and that buyer is GONE!

I've spoken to plenty of people who had at one time or another spent money on eBay but no longer do so. In virtually every case it's because of shoddy treatment by sellers.

I personally know several people who no longer shop on eBay because they had such bad experiences with sellers.  And the kicker is, none of them were Chinese megasellers-- they were all US-based sellers selling secondhand things.  One shipped an expensive collectible statue but didn't pack it properly so it arrived broken.  Another seller never shipped the item at all.  Another one didn't disclose damage/flaws on an item and deliberately took pictures from angles that would hide it.  I really can't blame the people I know for deciding to take their business elsewhere after that.

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Yes, the MBG is just a waste of time. If I have to return what I purchase after a week or so to get it. I would prefer to just drive to a store to purchase.
Message 8 of 52
latest reply

Purchasing 2 items in a week and 1 I never receive and the other was not worth receiving. My effort was wasted here. Why would I put forth more effort to buy here.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Hi, I agree the level of service from some sellers and bad buyers is appalling. My last 3 out of 4 auctions were all NON PAYS, another auction a lady with over 5000 feed backs canceled her auction 5 days after placing her bid. and I am waiting on 2 more to be paid right now. One person will have a case opened tomorrow on day 4 and the other placed a bid 10 minutes before the end of the auction yesterday afternoon and disappeared like a ghost. NOW for my last 2 PURCHASES on my buying account- 2 cd's 2 different sellers, Well one cd was listed LIKE NEW and arrived with large crack in the jewel case and cd was scratched all over the place, NOT even ACCEPTABLE condition. asked for a return and was ignored. ebay had to refund my money. last cd was never shipped  and I had to wait 19 days before ebay refunded me. No communication guy just disappeared, he had no red negs when I purchased and he now has racked up 10 RED NEGATIVES in a row for not shipping anything to 9 other buyers! This place is getting bad.

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

I don't buy a lot of used items, just mostly new, so I don't need the send anything back. I try to shop around ebay to choose the right seller. Pricing is ~usually better on eBay for a lot of items. 

I would imagine if one is buying used items on the river, they would run into the same problems we see with some used items here. 

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

My definition would be failing compared to similar companies in similar markets. eBay has always been more profitable that most other Marketplace sites (including Amazon)

Gross merchandise volume - $24.6 billion - up 1%

Net revenue - $.29 billion - up 6%

Free cash flow - $1.1 billion - up 39%

Operating cash flow - $1.23 billion - up 25%

Stock repurchased = $1.5 billion

If I could just "fail" like that 🙂

But seriously ... 

I really don't understand the Amazon comparisons. Amazon's third party marketplace generated $13 billion in fees in 2018 - which was just 5.5% of their 2018 total revenue of $233 billion. Amazon may have a third-party marketplace, but that marketplace is not where they make most of their money

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

It should not matter if the items are new are used. A seller should still be professional.
Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Well, all the long time and experienced sellers are leaving. People like to say new sellers will take their place, but many of these new sellers do not come anywhere close to providing the great service the experienced, old timers had. Everything you pointed out will never be done by the experienced sellers.

When eBay drives away its good sellers, the replacement who take their place provide the bad experience that is driving many buyers away. I know people who will buy products on Amazon sold by the same seller on eBay, but refuse to shop on eBay. 

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of very reliable and excellent cd sellers, BUT I would guess it's a 50/50 split with many even the bigger guys with descent feed back when it comes to grading and especially shipping. I buy a lot of music and 5 out of every 10 cd's I buy arrive with cracked cases. It is getting to the point where I am ready to explode because of the shoddy packaging. I sell a few cd's and I have never had a damage complaint. I ship them in the small 6x4x4 ebay boxes wrapped in thin bubble wrap and tilted on the side they fit perfectly. weight is 6 ounces! CHEAP TO SHIP 1st class or it was until the last USPS rate increase. but man come on most of these guys throw it in a thin manilla padded envelope and that's it. of course the case is gonna crack. 6 oz in a small box, if their margins are so small they should reconsider selling cd's.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply