cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice for the relatively new and amateur sellers?

Hello,

Any advice for people who have relatively recently started participating in the selling endeavor?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

In addition to knowing policy, know how the fee structure works and what you can expect to be charged.

Many a thread has been started here after an item has sold, and the OP is surprised at the fees incurred.

You can expect to pay 10% in FVF (final value fees) on the item price and shipping cost.  You can expect to pay 3% plus 30 cents to Paypal.  You can estimate at 15% if you care to.

You get 50 free listings, I believe, and if you use those, then you are charged.

Many times you can see your fees upfront before you send the listing live, except in cases of auction listings, when you don't know what the final price for the item will be.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

"Take the advice here and be careful, make sure you use tracking and DO NOT offer returns. Describe your items very accurately and I repeat do not offer returns. Trust me on this."

Funny.

A buyer can file a false SNAD complaint and get a full refund.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

When you list, think like a buyer.  What would you want to know?  What would you be willing to pay?

Ship first class whenever possible and make those items free.  But add the shipping cost to your price.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Write everything in the description in third person.

Do not say I did this .....I do this........... ..... Say.....This was  done.....  less provocative.

Short paragraphs.....  go back through this discussion and determine which  reply was easier... and easiest to read.

Always communicate in sentences .....  No short-hand text .... The hardest things I ever read was a buyer texting and using text shorthand

Terms of sale should be short and sweet.... not provocative  and lengthy

The desciption must be very good....  Remember that you the seller are the potential buyer's eyes, with  words of wisdom..

Photographs must be clear, and very direct...Learn about color... light... and focus...for taking a photo. Learn how to edit photos and adjust the color to show the correct color of an item for sale....  

The only thing in the photo should be the item for sale....  A seller  that puts somethng extra, but not for sale in a photo, may have a confused buyer that asks ... where is that extra little thing in the photo

Ultimately a seller's success on eBay will be based on knowing .....What NOT to do.....

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Someone who wants to start selling on eBay  should do the following...

Stand in front of a mirror and ask  ...

Who is that person in the mirror?

How do I relate to people?

How will I communicate with someone I cannot see?

Some people do not have the right attitude for selling on line

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

They can and do files SNAD's -- I know that - but if a new seller offers blanket 30 day returns free - the ebay vultures will more quickly devour the new seller - sometimes just for the sake of it especially if selling in an area that the vulture sellers wish to protect.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@greatpartsgooddeals wrote:

It seems like the OBVIOUS ELEPHANT in the room is being ignored here so ...Just know going into this platform that YOU WILL GET SCAMMED and YOU WILL LOSE YOUR ITEM AT TIMES SO NEVER SELL THAT WHICH YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO GIVE AWAY. It is that simple. You can make money here but you wil need THICK skin because EBAY, LIKE LIFE ITSELF, IS NOT FAIR and ALL DISPUTES WILL NOW 100% GO to the BUYER'S FAVOR NOT THE SELLER REGARDLESS OF ANY EVIDENCE THAT YOU MAY PRESENT.

Wow. not very encouraging answer

You can do well on eBay, just be aware of rules and follow some of the good advice written by others here

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

Good general advice. Although I do not think you have to be outstanding communicator since so much of the process is now automated.

I was kind of curious of your overall impression because you have been on ebay a long time how you feel about the decrease in sales or if you even have noticed a decrease in sales. Glancing at your profile at feedback only you were at about 20 feedbacks averaged out monthly over a years time which can include sales and purchases and of course, only people that do leave feedback - --- then over 6 months at about 17 feedbacks per month - again based on feedback only and now if the trend continues about 10 this month.

Do your sales average out year-to-year or have you seen a decline? Are there lots of successful Candian sellers? And lastly, do you participate in the global shipping?

My sales seems to be very up and down with no real trend other than the 6 to 7-week boost when the magical algorithm hits me so I was just curious since you seem to be active on the board and seem very helpful and level-headed based on your posts.

Thanks for any input
Message 23 of 37
latest reply

Buy low, sell high.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Photographs must be clear, and very direct...Learn about color... light... and focus...for taking a photo. Learn how to edit photos and adjust the color to show the correct color of an item for sale....  

The only thing in the photo should be the item for sale....  A seller  that puts somethng extra, but not for sale in a photo, may have a confused buyer that asks ... where is that extra little thing in the photo

Ultimately a seller's success on eBay will be based on knowing .....What NOT to do.....

Great post.  I would just like to add, use the full number of pictures that Ebay allows on your listing.  In many cases, that is 12 pictures.  Show every angle of the item.  If it lights, show it lit and unlit.  

As a separate point, any communication with buyers should be on Ebay, and professionally written, no profanity, no rudeness, no hostility.  If you receive any messages asking for your phone number, you are not allowed to share that, and should message back that you only sell and communicate ON ebay.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

I'd also say be wary of any buyer who is trying to rush you. As a new seller, some may count on the fact that you are not aware of policy or procedure, and will try to rush you to ship something right away before you realize you have not yet been paid or received the ok from Paypal to ship, or before the payment has cleared. Rushing is a red flag and you are not required to rush to satisfy anyone. You are required, however, to ship within the handling time that you have chosen.
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

You might also want to go back and read the twice (and sometimes thrice) yearly Seller Updates from the last few years.

Some miscellaneous tips:

You cannot charge a re-stocking fee.

If you take returns, you take returns for any reason.  You can't pick and choose.

You are not allowed to have anything negative in your listing.

You are not allowed to post negatives on buyers.

You are not allowed to post a negative comment in a positive format for buyers.

Buyer can call and get that removed and you will get a violation.

Listing fixed price, immediate payment required eliminates non paying buyers.

If you have a non paying buyer, you can open an Unpaid Item Dispute after 48 hrs and close it 96 hrs later.  You get your fees back and the buyer gets a strike.

Just two strikes and they can't buy from many sellers.

Set your blocks.  Blocks to countries you don't ship to, and to block those with two or more unpaid item strikes in a year.  There are other blocks you can set as well.

If you receive communication you feel is improper, you can put the id on your BBL, blocked bidder list, and also block communications from them (two separate blocks)  These are found under site preferences.

Good Luck to you!

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

When I started selling on eBay... 15 years ago.... I sold verything other than books..... Today it is books only.

I ued to sell worldwide, and gradually adjusted that to ship only to Canada and the US....

Right now my store is on vacation... since September 17...  There is a Canada Post problem  between the union and Canada Post....   a strike situation.....  I have too much invested into selling on eBay to let the postal service have an effect on my selling situation.

Sales have been good,  a bit lower because  my focus is selling only to Canada and the US.  Over the past 45 days, while on vacation..... I have added lots of new inventory to my store.....  lots of very good value.   Looking forward to getting off vacation.

I needed a vacation... time to realign my inventory....  found lots of new inventory.....and adjust my thinking about selling on eBay........   My focus is selling inventory that relates to Canada  and things Canadian

For books it is History > Canada.... 70 %  of books sold on eBay ..... and then other categories that relate to Canada.....  books about Canadian art.....Birds... Wildlife... and then the history of  specific groups of people  that live in Canada... my ancestry.... and then a few select categories  where I find inventory  that sells very well

After 15 years on eBay....  I know how to make it happen on eBay......    New competition on eBay Canada....  Will have to adjust to a new environment for the selling of books on eBay.com.

Feedback....  It used to be as high as 70 % of buyers leaving feedback....  Today it is about one-half that number....  and then less than that.   Right now the fact my store is on vacation will affect this number for the last 30 days.....

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Feedback....  It used to be as high as 70 % of buyers leaving feedback....  Today it is about one-half that number....  and then less than that.   Right now the fact my store is on vacation will affect this number for the last 30 days.....

Don't let the feedback percentage that you are getting discourage you.  Selllers who leave feedback for every buyer at payment generally report receiving between 20 and 30% back.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I'm not sure if ebay really adheres to limiting buyers who do not go through with sales.  I had one customer that bid on an item and did not pay.  Looking at their feedback they had a decent amount of items they purchased --about 30 - with 6 of those comments stating that they bid and did not pay. Could all six of those folks not had their site settings tweaked? -- and even if they did not --with all the ebay policies, procedures and algorithms why would they not catch that? --- or is that not important to them?  I reported it and when I checked the account another positive with negative comment was there

Message 30 of 37
latest reply