cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another listing bites the dust.

3rd one this week.

Listing on for 6 day +.  True auction starting at .99.

Seller just ended it saying there was an error in the listing.

Yup, took 6 days to figure out you were probably not going to get the price you wanted.

Buyers not paying.

And sellers not selling.

I see two more in my favorites that I bet will have the same ending.

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Yep and people wonder why buyers aren't buying
Message 2 of 74
latest reply

I think the problem is with ebay views. If you list a 7-day auction starting at 99c for an item that is worth $50, you'd expect the bid to be around $25 after 5 days, but if you get a 99c bid and 7 views in the first hour then you look 5 days later and it’s the same 7 views and same 99c bid, how's that a fair auction? It's ok to block views on BIN but not auctions. I think ebay wants it to sell low to make buyers happy, and then they can tell their friends "I got it on ebay for 99c"

Message 3 of 74
latest reply

Nothing is a given.  You take your chances, put it out there, and then accept the results.

You cannot blame that on ebay.

Message 4 of 74
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I think the problem is with ebay views. If you list a 7-day auction starting at 99c for an item that is worth $50, you'd expect the bid to be around $25 after 5 days, but if you get a 99c bid and 7 views in the first hour then you look 5 days later and it’s the same 7 views and same 99c bid, how's that a fair auction? It's ok to block views on BIN but not auctions. I think ebay wants it to sell low to make buyers happy, and then they can tell their friends "I got it on ebay for 99c"

If I found a 99 cent auction listing that I was interested in the very last thing I would do is bid early!

It's easy to blame eBay for a lack of views and/or action but it's more likely that while the item might be "worth" $50 it's only worth that if there is a buyer who actually wants it.

eBay makes most of their money via FVF and their most important metric for investors is GMV, the lower the selling price the lower these metrics will be, certainly not in eBay's interest.

The last time I started an auction at 99 cents it had no bids at all up until the last hour (a single bid), in the last 5 minutes it went from 99 cents to $1400.

Message 5 of 74
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Nothing is a given.  You take your chances, put it out there, and then accept the results.

Nothing is given, put it out there, if it doesn't generate interest, end it. It's not against the law.

Message 6 of 74
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

If I found a 99 cent auction listing that I was interested in the very last thing I would do is bid early!

It's easy to blame eBay for a lack of views and/or action but it's more likely that while the item might be "worth" $50 it's only worth that if there is a buyer who actually wants it.

eBay makes most of their money via FVF and their most important metric for investors is GMV, the lower the selling price the lower these metrics will be, certainly not in eBay's interest.

The last time I started an auction at 99 cents it had no bids at all up until the last hour (a single bid), in the last 5 minutes it went from 99 cents to $1400.

ebay should not allow bidders to cancel, retract, ot not pay, same goes for sellers, that's how you have an honest auction.

Message 7 of 74
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I think the problem is with ebay views. If you list a 7-day auction starting at 99c for an item that is worth $50, you'd expect the bid to be around $25 after 5 days

I certainly wouldn't, because most intelligent bidders snipe.  Why show your hand early and risk other people outbidding you?

Message 8 of 74
latest reply

Its an in-policy cancellation. If I am not mistaken, seller can cancel up to 12 hours before auction end unless there are active bids.
Message 9 of 74
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Nothing is given, put it out there, if it doesn't generate interest, end it. It's not again the law.

Then I guess a buyer can change her mind and cancel  as well.

Message 10 of 74
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I think the problem is with ebay views. If you list a 7-day auction starting at 99c for an item that is worth $50, you'd expect the bid to be around $25 after 5 days

I certainly wouldn't, because most intelligent bidders snipe.  Why show your hand early and risk other people outbidding you?

Exactly.  You do not show your hand until you have to.

Message 11 of 74
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:
Its an in-policy cancellation. If I am not mistaken, seller can cancel up to 12 hours before auction end unless there are active bids.

The one I am referring to had 6 or 7 bids.  Seller cancelled the bids and then ended the listing right at the 6 day 12 hour mark.

Message 12 of 74
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Nothing is given, put it out there, if it doesn't generate interest, end it. It's not again the law.

Then I guess a buyer can change her mind and cancel  as well.

They do it all the time. Their cat, kid, husband... mouse and keyboard malfunction.... they got a virus... they thought they were buying something else(this is at least half-way plausible)... they accidentally bought the item(half-way plausible if in a cart and not paying attention at checkout)... 

Message 13 of 74
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

The one I am referring to had 6 or 7 bids.  Seller cancelled the bids and then ended the listing right at the 6 day 12 hour mark.

Report it and report the new listing for the same item when they relist it. 

Message 14 of 74
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:

Report it and report the new listing for the same item when they relist it. 

Report what.  Apparently sellers are allowed to do this if they cancel with more than 12 hours to go.

Message 15 of 74
latest reply