cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I to believe you cannot sell...

am I to believe you cannot sell Antiques if you only have a starter store as part of your 250 listing?

I read and re-read the policy for categories for starter store. 

Under basic and above it clearly states policies fees etc. and includes Antiques.

Starter store is void of antiques unless I am missing something. 

My direct questions can someone with just a starter store whose been selling since 1999 use their 250 listing and sell in antique category, and collectable category while I am asking.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@collectfest  I have a starter store and listed a couple of antique (late 19th C/early 20th C) garments and it was fine - this was about five months ago, though.  I did use the 'antique' category.  Were your listings being blocked somehow?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@collectfest,

A starter store doesn't have any restrictions on what categories you can list in. You get 250 free-insertion-fee listings of any format (auction or fixed price) and in any category. This is the same as if you didn't have any store at all.

Only the higher-tier stores, with higher subscription fees, have restrictions on  format and category for your free-insertion-fee listings.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-fees?id=4809

image.png

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Honestly, your post and you feedback confuse me.  Anyone can sell antiques-with or without a store.  Same for collectibles.  One has nothing to do with the other.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@collectfest  I have a starter store and listed a couple of antique (late 19th C/early 20th C) garments and it was fine - this was about five months ago, though.  I did use the 'antique' category.  Were your listings being blocked somehow?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@collectfest,

A starter store doesn't have any restrictions on what categories you can list in. You get 250 free-insertion-fee listings of any format (auction or fixed price) and in any category. This is the same as if you didn't have any store at all.

Only the higher-tier stores, with higher subscription fees, have restrictions on  format and category for your free-insertion-fee listings.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-fees?id=4809

image.png

Thanks for the response, as you scroll down farther on that same page it break down things more. What's confusing me, starter store omits auctions whereas Basic and up fees are described. Also, the select categories is in all but NOT starter store.

I guess I am just confused why antique is not mentioned. Furthermore when you click on the tiny 'i" icon it only states collectables and fashion. 

Anyway, I am hoping your right but its not clear. Thanks for the feedback will dig deeper.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

Honestly, your post and you feedback confuse me.  Anyone can sell antiques-with or without a store.  Same for collectibles.  One has nothing to do with the other.

Honestly, if you are confused I cannot help you. If you don't get where I am coming from maybe just move on and effect someone else.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

excuse me for trying to understand what it was you were asking.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Thank you thats the advise I needed!

No, my contract is up in July(basic store), had a death in the family, been assisting my aging mom. Not going to be doing a lot here but want to remain relevant. What to know the consequences from going from basic to starter store.

I've had basic store or larger since 1999. Not use to going backward but I have other priorities to deal with.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

excuse me for trying to understand what it was you were asking.

maybe read you post and put yourself in the shows of the person reading it. Sorry if I misunderstood but when you brought up my feedback etc, sorta feel a bit belittled. Not sure why you brought it up, I took at as I am I dum a##. Well, I am not.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@collectfest  I went from premium to basic with GTC (saved a lot of money with that change) and when I went to just part-time I shifted to a starter store - I noticed no difference in listing availability in any of those store levels - all of the differences were in number of listings and perks like shipping supplies.*

Since it doesn't cost the site any more to host antiques than anything else, and there's no gating for antiques as far as I know, I think it may just be sloppy communication on the part of eBay that they aren't as complete in their disclosure for the starter store.

TBH, I'm surprised they haven't tried put a time limit on the starter store and tried to force everyone into Basic after six months or whatever - probably better not give anyone any ideas lol.

*I have the starter store only because I've had a store for so many years and I have a lot of regular customers and repeat business who actually shop the store, so I want to have that identifiable virtual space just as a sort of brand. 

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@collectfest  I went from premium to basic with GTC (saved a lot of money with that change) and when I went to just part-time I shifted to a starter store - I noticed no difference in listing availability in any of those store levels - all of the differences were in number of listings and perks like shipping supplies.*

Since it doesn't cost the site any more to host antiques than anything else, and there's no gating for antiques as far as I know, I think it may just be sloppy communication on the part of eBay that they aren't as complete in their disclosure for the starter store.

TBH, I'm surprised they haven't tried put a time limit on the starter store and tried to force everyone into Basic after six months or whatever - probably better not give anyone any ideas lol.

*I have the starter store only because I've had a store for so many years and I have a lot of regular customers and repeat business who actually shop the store, so I want to have that identifiable virtual space just as a sort of brand. 

LOL, agreed, am sure they'll its on their radar. Honestly, starter store isn't what it is. Its just a store with 250 listings.

I just want to know what I am getting into, or out of for that matter.

I am afraid to post my next question, what's the consequences of, no store, come back month to month. If I sell 100 items per year and the $ minimum, will my account be in good standing. The truth is I know what the answer should be, I just want to know eBay see's it the same way. LOL, I've seen to many folks have rude awakenings assuming things on eBay.

Anyway, thanks again.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@collectfest wrote: ... my next question, what's the consequences of, no store, come back month to month. If I sell 100 items per year and the $ minimum, will my account be in good standing. ...

There is no minimum sales requirement to be a seller in good standing.

Sellers who have no store or who have a Starter store get 250 free insertions per month with no category restrictions and they pay the same final value fee rates. If you're thinking of dropping down to Starter, you should also consider just dropping the store entirely since the free insertions and FVF rates are the same.    Basic and above stores have to pay attention to things like where they can use free auction-format insertions, what the FVF rate is in various categories, etc. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@collectfest wrote: ... my next question, what's the consequences of, no store, come back month to month. If I sell 100 items per year and the $ minimum, will my account be in good standing. ...

There is no minimum sales requirement to be a seller in good standing.

Sellers who have no store or who have a Starter store get 250 free insertions per month with no category restrictions and they pay the same final value fee rates. If you're thinking of dropping down to Starter, you should also consider just dropping the store entirely since the free insertions and FVF rates are the same.    Basic and above stores have to pay attention to things like where they can use free auction-format insertions, what the FVF rate is in various categories, etc. 

Helpful, Many thanks!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I am afraid to post my next question, what's the consequences of, no store, come back month to month. If I sell 100 items per year and the $ minimum, will my account be in good standing. The truth is I know what the answer should be, I just want to know eBay see's it the same way. LOL, I've seen to many folks have rude awakenings assuming things on eBay.

@collectfest 

With the upcoming June 20 evaluation, I'll lose my TRS status because I haven't been able to show 100 sales for the past 12 rolling months. Admittedly (and selfishly), I liked that for the seller's refund protection offered for the odd 'de-valued' Return. I saw it coming with slow sales, so I downgraded my store level on renewal, but did away with it altogether just this month.

Too often, I'm one of those "folks have rude awakenings assuming things on eBay." I'm glad you asked! 🙌

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@collectfest 

With the upcoming June 20 evaluation, I'll lose my TRS status because I haven't been able to show 100 sales for the past 12 rolling months. Admittedly (and selfishly), I liked that for the seller's refund protection offered for the odd 'de-valued' Return. I saw it coming with slow sales, so I downgraded my store level on renewal, but did away with it altogether just this month.

Too often, I'm one of those "folks have rude awakenings assuming things on eBay." I'm glad you asked! 🙌

Are you happy with your present status(no store), or would you choose the starter store or doesn't really matter LOL...

Message 15 of 16
latest reply