cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I About to get Scammed?

I'm a new ebay seller, so far I have sold a few small items. Yesterday I decided to kick start my cash flow by listing a couple of more expensive items, a DSLR camera and a telephoto lens. I wake up this morning and the camera has 10 offers on it, most over asking price, and the highest almost $250 over. Seems exciting, however not a single one of the potential buyers have any feedback. Anyone else r uh n iij not this situation? How did you handle it, and what would you do differently next time?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Stick to selling less expensive items on here for now as your new. The offers of over $250 seems fishy with all new guests accounts, I'd block them. Take caution, build a strong level of positive feedback selling high volume on lower value stuff first. Some high value stuff like phones and cameras can be a target for scammers if your a new seller. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Should read: "Anyone else run into this situation? " ...oops!
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

OP - Duncan is spot on - until you have some sales under your belt and a lot more feedback - I would never list something that expensive hereat this time. Anyone who offers you more than you're asking is not legit. They wait for sellers like yourself to list a high value item and no good even comes from it for the seller.

Had you accepted an offer - 10:1 - you would have received a fake Paypal letter telling you that the item has been paid for and it's OK to ship. Being they know newer sellers don't verify the payment in their Paypal acct - you would have shipped the item and been out both the money and the camera - Ebay would not have your back.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

So the best option would be to decline the offer and block the buyer?
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

When ever you get a payment always confirm the money is in PayPal. Watch for fake emails and messages. Being asked to ship to another address you'll loose seller protection. As a new seller I would not accept those offers and block them. I would remove the listing and list 10 other cheaper products instead. Try and build your store to 250 listed of stuff $60 or under. Remember if buyer opens a case on you, then you can loose the product and the money. And the point being that you can't recover the money. Its not as bad if you loose $25 but compared to loosing $250 that's terrible. I maintain about 200 listings, the bulk of these are not that expensive so it won't hurt as much if I get scammed. On the otherhand my feedback is over 11,000 so I am less likely to be targeted by a scammer. That is why I suggest you build your feedback to a much higher level before rushing in selling expensive items.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You aren't going to get paid if you accept any of those offers.

Why would someone offer MORE than the asking price? Because they're not actually going to pay for it, that's why. They're going to steal your stuff.

If you accept one of those offers, there is a 99.99999999% chance that you will get a very real looking fake Paypal payment email. Scammers do this in hopes that the seller is too naive to actually log in to their Paypal account and check for payment. This scam is very prevalent because it works quite well - many sellers both new and experienced have been scammed by it because they do not check their Paypal account to verify payments.

If this happens to you, neither Ebay nor Paypal can help because no payment actually takes place. Your only recourse is through law enforcement, and the chances of ever getting your  money back are slim to none, because most of these scammers are halfway around the globe.

BLOCK the IDs that make these offers  https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

Do NOT respond.

File unpaid item disputes in 48 hours, and close them out 96 hours later if you actually accepted an offer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@greatlifereserve wrote:

and remove anything you can't afford to lose

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Only problem with removing the listing(s) is that now eBay will see the offers and the fact that the listing is gone. They'll then accuse the seller of consummating the transaction off eBay and will charge them the FVF for a sale that didn't even happen.

The now infamous Catch 22.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@greatlifereserve wrote: 

The best option, other than not listing high-scam high-value items here in the first place, would be to list the item as a BuyItNow for the desired price, with no Make Offer option (if you are able to stop eBay from adding that automatically) and with the Immediate Payment Required checkbox option selected when uploading the listing. (Look on the full Sell Your Item form to find it; I don't think the express form offers it there.)

With IPR in place, no one can snatch your item off the market without actually paying you for it first. Then you can move on to the risk of an empty-box or shipping-damage claim when the item is delivered. 

For those items you mentioned, and your need to jump-start your cash flow, I would suggest selling them locally for cash.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:
Only problem with removing the listing(s) is that now eBay will see the offers and the fact that the listing is gone. They'll then accuse the seller of consummating the transaction off eBay and will charge them the FVF for a sale that didn't even happen.

There is that risk, yes, but what if the item is immediately relisted under different terms? (i.e. BIN/IPR)

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Worth a shot!
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

What about just declining all offers, blocking those bidders, letting the item run it's course, and not relisting it?   If it gets a 'buyer', handle that event, when it comes.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 13
latest reply