cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on scam

Long story short:  I sold a CPU processor for $500.00 to a customer.  He responds today, requesting a refund with a photo saying I sent him a hard drive.  As I personally packed the auction and have never seen that hard drive in my life, I know that is simply NOT possible.  I don't own a hard drive like that.  I triple check EVERYTHING I send out to avoid situations like this.

Note:  he didn't request me to send the correct item, he only wants to send me back this random hard drive and get a refund.

This is a nightmare scenario for me.   I've contacted the customer letting him know I will alert the Post Office Fraud and file a police report to find out what happened so we can resolve the situation.

I requested photos, included the product in the box on a scale.  He's been more than happy to comply.  Everything checks out. 

Looking at this from ebay's perspective this is a classic he said/she said case.  It is a new ebay account with 2 feedback on it.  Not sure if that helps or hurts.

So what do I do?  Do I just refund him and move on with my life?  Do I have him send back this hard drive(curious what's on it!) and then do a refund(I have no interest in receiving back an item that isn't mine)?  Do I file all these reports?  Please help so I can purge the profanity in my head lol    Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Advice needed on scam

As expected, ebay ruled in their favor.   And to add insult to injury I have to pay for them to send me their hard drive.  I don't want their hard drive.  It's not mine.  I don't steal things that aren't mine.

Unfortunately I wasn't home to sign for their hard drive, and a notice was left.  It puts me in a very strange spot.  I have zero desire to drive down to the post office and pick it up from them.  Why would I faciliate stealing $540 from me? 

I lost this case the second the person got on ebay and claimed I sent something other than what was advertised.  There was no effort made by ebay to establish the truth.  The fact that in over 14 years not one single person has received the wrong item obviously doesn't matter. 

Definitely done selling anything remotely expensive on ebay.  I don't see anything more I could've done than accurately document what I was sending and require a signature to confirm receipt of the item.   Am I supposed to hand deliver items cross country with an ebay representative?

The irony for me is that they didn't pay for two days and I really wanted to cancel their bid since they had a very low feedback rating and those make me nervous as hell.  But no, I try to do the right thing, respect the person, everyone starts somewhere right? 

This is going to leave a big hole in my wallet.  Merry Christmas to me and my family.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Advice needed on scam

Sorry you lost your item and money.

That is one reason I don't sell anything expensive on Ebay. The scammer will win every time.

Have a great day.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Advice needed on scam

Thank you. I have accepted that as the solution 🙂
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Advice needed on scam

The first rule of Fight Club is NEVER Ever Never NADA Not in a lifetime list anything on e bay that you cannot afford to lose.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Advice needed on scam

"I just wrote him back and said that I'd escalated the case "

Not smart.  You will lose.

You should haved played the buyer out with the postal inspector and police angle.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply