cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Video In Stores

I was checking out the action from eBay's first Hard To Find Holiday pop up event in Detroit over the weekend and noticed the featured seller has a video in their store's about section.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques and anyone else who has been asking about this - here's what it looks like in the wild on app and desktop.

UNapp1.jpg

UNdesktop.jpg

I haven't seen it on any other stores yet and checking my own account I don't see any way to add a video either on desktop or in the app - so it appears to be another phased rollout.  But at least this shows they *do* have things ironed out on the tech side and the feature is working, so hopefully the rest of us will be gaining access to it "soon" too.

Still no newsletter sign up button though. ☹️

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

About Video In Stores

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - this isn't a violation, thank you for the example (amazing photos by the way, the way they blow up on my monitor lets me see an incredible amount of detail!). 

I was able to find some extra info on the new video in listings!

"Sellers who have access to third party APIs can upload videos on their listings. There are currently 300+ categories that videos can be uploaded to. 

To add a video to a listing:

1. Sellers who use the third-party tools that support videos should follow the flow implemented in those tools
  2. Sellers who integrate directly with eBay APIs should consult our Media API documentation "

So for eBay-hosted video in listings, it seems like it can only be done via API access or with a third-party listing tool that has already been adapted for it, so no 'native' access quite yet. 

I still have info on using YouTube clips in listings too, so there's nothing currently saying that you cannot use it in your listings (in fact that's the way I'd do it since I don't use third party tools and cannot understand APIs for the life of me). 

Still looking for a team or point of contact who can get us any detail on if there is a deprecation planned, but based on the above I think if you can make the 'new' process work I would slowly start redoing  videos. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

tyler@ebay  Sorry to keep bugging you, but this is the first I heard of a category limitation---"There are currently 300+ categories that videos can be uploaded to. "  Any chance we could get a category list?

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

tyler@ebay  Sorry to keep bugging you, but this is the first I heard of a category limitation---"There are currently 300+ categories that videos can be uploaded to. "  Any chance we could get a category list?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - same wavelength! But no, I've been digging but can't find a full list (or any list for that matter). 

I'll let you know if I can track one down!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

(Or maybe I can download the video from YouTube, and then upload it to eBay?)

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/56100?hl=en

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 20 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

@wastingtime101  Thanks! Very helpful!

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I heard back on this!

No list, because they expanded to include all categories, so they're updating my internal resources to remove the '300+' bit.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

tyler@ebay  Thanks Tyler! That's good news...and I'm guessing is another step on the road to releasing video in listings. Nice to see progress being made!

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

Etsy (sorry to bring them up lol) has had natively hosted video in listings for a couple of years now - they are short, about 15 seconds, and last time I looked did not have audio enabled, but were basically product/shop display videos.

ETA: A lot like the 3D sneaker photo we had here.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 24 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

@chapeau-noir  I think Poshmark also allows short video clips in their listings (with audio). 

While I'm looking forward to ebay finally enabling ebay hosted videos, both in listings and on the Store About page, it is just another example of ebay playing catch up against its smaller and nimbler competitors. 

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

@chapeau-noir  I think Poshmark also allows short video clips in their listings (with audio). 

While I'm looking forward to ebay finally enabling ebay hosted videos, both in listings and on the Store About page, it is just another example of ebay playing catch up against its smaller and nimbler competitors. 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques   Agree with this.  Posh's videos have been instituted just in the last - 5-6 months?  Can't quite remember.  I don't use video because I have nowhere to stage any of that stuff or I would have given it a go as soon as they began it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

Just glancing at posh, I saw two types of clothing videos: some people modeling the clothing , and some people filming the article of clothing while narrating its features and/or any issues.  I don't sell a lot of clothing, and modeling isn't in my future LOL, but so far I've really only used video for things like music boxes, battery operated toys etc. If ebay's new video feature is easy to use and I get better at filming stuff, I can see using video for more stationary items, but with narration, mentioning any flaws, etc.  I certainly wouldn't use it for everything, but I can see value in it. Would be nice to have it for the Holiday Season....I was really hoping we'd have it before Black Friday, but at this point, before Christmas is probably as much as I can hope for LOL

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Etsy (sorry to bring them up lol) has had natively hosted video in listings for a couple of years now - they are short, about 15 seconds, and last time I looked did not have audio enabled, but were basically product/shop display videos.

ETA: A lot like the 3D sneaker photo we had here.

Don't be sorry at all @chapeau-noir - I ended up spending 50$ on Etsy this past weekend specifically because of video in the listing. 

I'm a rock/crystal collector and the ability for sellers to upload video showing a piece in natural lighting so I can see the way it looks is just absolute kryptonite on my wallet. 

Really want to see this get to eBay soon!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

tyler@ebay " Really want to see this get to eBay soon!"

Couldn't agree more. ebay should have been the first marketplace site to have this, not one of the last. 

Here's hoping we get this while there's still some Christmas shopping going on......

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

About Video In Stores

tyler@ebay  @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  - I have the About video option in store settings now! It looks pretty straightforward, just select the video and upload.

2021-11-30_22-22-44.jpg

Interesting that it automatically takes the first frame as the thumbnail.  It would be nice to be able to upload a thumbnail image separately, but for now I guess you could just use your video editing software of choice to make sure that first frame is whatever you want the thumbnail to be.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply