cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day hold for sellers to get paid!! REALLY EBAY?!

I sold items on eBay that was delivered in two days as promised and now eBay tells me to wait 30 days to get paid?! That’s crazy! 30 days to either damage or return my items??? This should be re-evaluated because it seems borderline illegal and then they tell you it’s to protect you(seller) but how? The buyer gets your expensive product and you(the seller) has to hold out for 30 days waiting for the buyer to damage, return or decide they will keep it. Not cool eBay!

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

A buyer can always file a return within 30 days. If you were already paid, you are still responsible for an Item Not As Described type of return reason for 30 days thru eBay.  If the buyer paid via PayPal,  it is 180 days and a credit card chargeback can be filed for about that same 180 days.

As far as the payment hold, they tell sellers this upfront.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816

After someone sells for awhile, the hold times are reduced. 

Posting ID
Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Its temporary for new sellers.

Once you develop a history of successful sales, it goes away.

But yes, there isn't an equivalent treatment for brand new buyers.

You may want to look through the seller board on other seller topics, because ebay is a place that is unnecessarily adversarial, and punitive, towards sellers.  So seriously consider if you really want to sell here.  You may decide to only sell certain things here but not others, or not at all.  Many sellers here sell on multiple platforms to not keep all their eggs in one basket.

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

It is always a really good idea to read the Ts and Cs before jumping into anything.

eBay doesnt hide anything about the selling fees or payment holds.

Heres to hoping the 30 day wait is all you have to worry about.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 48
latest reply

You can read right?

So you read the terms & conditions before selling your $1200 rims & knew that this would happen right?

Okay good, you're okay then because you know what was going to happen.

Good day sir!

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

As others noted it is part of the T&Cs of the agreement you signed up to. While there is nothing "illegal" about them holding the funds the could potentially be violating several state laws pertaining to the payment of interest on escrow accounts but nobody has really challenged them in court to the best of my knowledge.      There are 17 states that require the payment of interest on escrowed accounts that are generally associated with mortgage loans/accounts. The question would be whether the held funds qualify as an escrow type of holding which in essence is done by financial institutions to protect their interest which is exactly what eBay is doing. 

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

New sellers have had their funds held as long as I've been here, it's nothing new.

A couple years ago, for items that sold for more then $1000, they started holding the funds for 30 days.

If you think 30 days is bad, the buyer has 6 months to open a case with Pay Pal and most credit cards.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 48
latest reply

@tebrpe_0 wrote:

The buyer gets your expensive product and you(the seller) has to hold out for 30 days waiting for the buyer to damage, return or decide they will keep it. Not cool eBay!

Yep, this is true.  You have a good understanding of how it works.

eBay expects you to act like a Major Retailer and offer a 30 day return privilege on most items although they do not require you to advertise this.  eBay will help you with this if there is a issue you will not resolve.  They will resolve it on your behalf.

For some reason Trading Cards only require a three day return privilege and I am not sure why that is and can only speculate as to why?

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Payment holds are now common for new sellers on most Internet Marketplaces.

Before Ebay managed its own payments, PayPal held payments due to new PayPal members.

The bigger the ticket the longer holds may be applied.

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

”…and then they tell you it’s to protect you(seller) but how?…”

Well, it likely protects eBay more, but one way the hold benefits the seller is that the funds are there if the buyer wants a refund. Over the years when PayPal handled the payments, i’ve seen sellers in a panicked scramble after spending their entire sale payouts, and then find themselves unable to cover an unexpected refund.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

@tebrpe_0 

New and occasional sellers have their customer payments Held against their performance.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

If you are a non-US seller that 21 days becomes 30 days, because we furriners ain't to be trusted.

You can use the Held funds to buy shipping labels and eBay does offer a small discount on those.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 48
latest reply

For some reason Trading Cards only require a three day return privilege and I am not sure why that is and can only speculate as to why?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure but seems that I have read that at least part of the reason is because of the "volatile price fluctuation" on some cards.  

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Yes, REALLY! 

New and infrequent sellers have holds on their payments.  It's been that way on eBay for many years, and it has always been the same on most other on-line marketplaces. 

The responsibility is squarely on you to know the terms and conditions of any marketplace on which you choose to sell.  

One of the reasons that those under the age of 18 are not allowed to have an account on eBay is that selling (and buying) here requires adult decisions and behavior.

-

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

You had these advertised as Factory Oem when in fact they are NOT. Your buyer obviously didn't check for the stamping. I sell replica wheels and that is a replica of the factory wheel.

Message 15 of 48
latest reply