cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate hate hate the new "see full item description" button

I see I am not the only one but the community pages didn't seem to offer me a way to post "me too" on the other complaints so I'll just start a new one.   I loathe this "improvement" - if I want to see something simple like oh, the size of a ring or the length of a bracelet or necklace, I have to click on a button that brings up another window, takes 10 seconds, and doesn't show me the original info so I have to swap back and forth?   I agree with everyone who says this is going to drive people away from eBay.   I'm a small seller and I'm sure having some of the details I put on my listings on another page would mean that some people won't read them.   As a buyer, I hate having to go to another page to the extent that if the info I want is not on the main page, I move along to the next item, and eventually I will stop going to eBay completely if all listings have this "feature".    PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR USERS!   

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It is very annoying.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It is a fact of life now, It should only be apppearing for sellers who ignored the eBay mandate to remove active content and outside links.

Since it isn't something that will be fixed by eBay, I kludged up a workaround using a bookmarklet that works pretty good for me when my buyer hat is on.The approach has an issue with sizing due to the nature of browser external iframe security (so a compromise using a fixed frame size with scrollbars is used) but works great.

If you still have trouble getting the full description to print when printing an item page (because items you look at have huge descriptions), you can easily increase the frame size in the bookmarklet to suit by editing a single height number in the code right at the end)

Copy/paste the bookmarklet to your browser bookmarks bar, and when an item page with a "See full item description" button appears just click the bookmarklet and the description will appear where it should.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/See-Full-Item-Description-FireFox-Workaround-Bookmarklet/m-p/2...

(There are ways to do this automatically, but require running GreaseMonkey or other browser addons along with a script to address the issue. Since no one else is willing to go to those lengths, and it isn't a huge issue for me, I haven't bothered writing the script)

BTW, blame Google (and soon Firefox and the others) for this. They changed their browsers to throw dire warnings about hackerzez and security for mixed content and forced the issue. eBay's change of adding the button is just damage control in response. If eBay did not, Chrome would throw a dire warning that would confuse and frighten the non-technical.

Anyway, just use the bookmarklet and get on with your buying. Any questions, ask.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It's not an "improvement".  It's the consequence to certain sellers not following ebay's new policy for secured content on our listings.  All sellers had several months to adjust their listings, but a good portion of them decided not to.  The reason this change happened, as previously mentioned, is because Google changed the way web pages showed whether or not you are on a secure (https://) webpage, or a nonsecure (just http://) webpage.  Ebay was under the impression that it's buyers would not like to purchase an item online from a page that screamed UNSECURE at them in the Chrome browser.  I have a tendency to agree with that notion, so as a seller, I edited all my listings. 

So... If you're mad about the change, and that's your right, be mad in the correct order.  First be mad at Google for making the change, then be mad at the seller who didn't adapt their listings within the 3 or 4 month window, then be mad at eBay for trying to get millions of sellers to fall in line.  EBay could have just pulled all those listings that didn't conform to the new policy, but instead they added that nasty "See Full Description" button that everyone hates so much.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you remove the active content on your pages this will go away. I did it myself, it took time but that's the way life goes.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply