cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Sole Proprietorship? Told I can't change my SSN to EIN?

Hey guys been doing ebay for a while. I'm curious if maybe this is wrong or not? I just made my EIN and was told by Ebay that they can't accept a EIN Number? This seems iffy considering when I registered for the IRS they even have Sole Proprietor as a thing for EIN Number. 

I'm kind of confused why I can't switch out my SSN to EIN number on eBay when I was on the phone. Person on the phone said only LLCs can do this and to reach out to a tax professional? I just thought by doing this it would be better not just for privacy but also since for tax benefits.  Is this incorrect? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@mtgcardandmix 

If you are operating as an individual, there would be no tax benefits to an EIN, since you would simply add a Schedule C to your personal 1040 income tax return to receive all the benefits of a business operation.  As a sole proprietor, an EIN (employer identification number) is only required if you have employees, or must file specific other statements with the IRS.

This EIN vs SSN topic has been raised by single-member LLCs in the past.

eBay has chosen to collect and report the individual's SSN for Sole Proprietors and disregarded entities:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Monthly-Chat-February-8th-at-1-00-pm-PST/...

"For the 2022 Tax year, we have aligned issuing 1099Ks to IRS standards for Sole-Prop and Single Member LLC requirements. The IRS requires that Sole Props and Single Member LLCs file returns using the SSN of the owner, not the EIN of these entities. More information on this can be found here."

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Confused, 

"For the 2022 Tax year, we have aligned issuing 1099Ks to IRS standards for Sole-Prop and Single Member LLC requirements. The IRS requires that Sole Props and Single Member LLCs file returns using the SSN of the owner, not the EIN of these entities. More information on this can be found here."

But from what I gathered from the IRS is that an LLC can be treated as a sole proprietor.  An individual owner of a single-member LLC that operates a trade or business is subject to the tax on net earnings from self employment in the same manner as a sole proprietorship. 

Not entirely sure the meaning of the link. As for your comment on the "If you are operating as an individual, there would be no tax benefits to an EIN". 

I mean wouldn't the benefit be privacy, and if I wanted to make a Solo 401k in the future? Its why you can still register for an EIN on the IRS website as a sole proprietor. I'm inclined at this point to just delete my ebay account and make another with my EIN if this is how its gonna be all considering to be honest. 

I've read some legal stuff and it seems that this it totally legal and fair to do. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@mtgcardandmix 

"If you are operating as an individual, there would be no tax benefits to an EIN".

If you were operating under the rules of a corporation (the IRS allows either with an EIN), then you could choose accrual accounting and a fiscal year, for some slight flexibility is accounting.

Most people choose to run a business as an LLC (Limited Liability Company) for the limitation on liability, which means the money that represents your stake in the business, rather than your family's personal savings, is the limit of the business liability.

There is no guarantee of privacy when creating a business entity. You most likely still have to file a statement of ownership with your state that can be searched by the public. However, you can still put forth your business name to the public, instead of your personal name, which allows some general privacy.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I believe there are tax benefits to an EIN. For example nowadays you can make a Individual 401k with an EIN or use an EIN for privacy reasons. 

If there ever is a data breach I would rather have my EIN number released than my SSN number. I don't know why this even really is a problem on ebays end. 

Legally if you go on the IRS website you can make an EIN number for a sole proprietor so this seems like something that can be done. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply