cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well What Is This Specimen?

Hello All!

I really need to get more active in here,  I have so much to share, and oh so much to learn. Unfortunately I don't know very many fellow rockhounds out here where I'm at. I come across alot of Specimens I don't know what for sure they are.  I call them Confusionite.!!  I think we all have some of that! Lol!

Is it just me, or is it kinds hard to navigate around to get in here? Seem like the only time I can find it is when I receive an email notification.......can we message each other?  Yes I live in electronics hell.......whatever happened to "penpals" ?! I certainly dated myself there! 

Best Wishes to you all!! 

Keep Your Eyes, Ears, & Senses Open, Happy Hounding!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The easiest way to keep track of this (or any) forum is to add a bookmark in whatever browser you're using.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Hello Hello! Welcome!
Confusionite, good 1!
The interwebs is a great place to ID your minerals! Just takes some passionate time, is all!

Navigating to this group? Getting email notification is one fast option, as long as some one posts. Otherwise, here's the progression to get here
(home page) eBay Community > Groups > eBay Categories > Collectibles
Scroll down the Collectibles page to, Rocks Fossils Minerals( it will be blue highlight, click)..tada! you ARE here :D! Easier faster way?
I suppose you could bookmark this group page within your browser or if you use Firefox or Chrome make it a toolbar link. I don't have room on my toolbar or I would. You may have to sign in or resign in.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Well, there's a toolbar, and a bookmarks menu and neither one of them runs out of room. Use abbreviations for sites ... that helps. This one is named rck, collectibles and antiques is named C&A. Well, some people don't know or think to rename a site when saving as a bookmark.

It's easy enough to rearrange and put your favorite sites at the top, or make folders.

ETA: Safari also has a toolbar.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Good stuff trollmama! Thanks!
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You're quite welcome. I meant to add this screenshot, for those who learn better with show and tell. On my tool bar, ebay pages I use the most are abbreviated like this: ebay, collectibles and antiques, pottery and this rock forum. This allows you to fit a lot more on your tool bar. If you have a long site name, just click "show all bookmarks" and that is where the name can be edited.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Awesome! Yes, I'm the person who's cat steps on the remote & I have to call Dish......you know the rest😄! Thanks for your help!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Hello,
Thanks so much for the info! I'm definitely going to use it! I have searched the Web endlessly patiently & passionately trying to identify some of the specimens I have all to no Avail. I fear I shall always have piles of beautifully colored confusionite! The thing is I don't want to guess I don't wanna put false information on. They all are native to Arizona so That helps to know it down .
Do many people by large specimens , by large I mean 10lbs and up. I have a few really nice tiger's eyes and lion Skin Along with an asundry of other agates & quartz of all colors shapes and sizes!
Don't get me wrong I do enjoy searching the Web, Especially when it is a 110゚ outside ! 😁
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Great, next post, azcalcite!
As far as identification, other typical resources, library, book store, friends, rock shops, rock clubs.
Hey, I think almost anything sells on eBay!
Give it a try, especially be confident with identification of what you're going list. Include details! I see many listings lacking details. I think seller's lose customer's interest without enough info, I know I do.
Or, very interested customers would use 'ask a question' from the seller. Hopefully,
the seller is very prompt with replies. Happy eBaying!
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Looks good! I'll have to revise my toolbar! Thanks again for sharing!
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Regarding ID of mineral, don't give specific id, unless sure. With over 4,000 minerals and incredible diversity in appearance (for instance, garnet comes in just about every color of the rainbow), not to mention ongoing additions to the list--it takes a lot of testing with a variety of techniques and instruments to ID many minerals. Unless your source of mineral is reliable, don't assume they know ID either.

Better to say unknown, or I think it is .... , seller stated it was ..... ; give place of origin, right down to mine if it is known, show lots of best pix possible. Sellers please be honest in descriptions and with photos.

And for goodness sake, give dimensions as accurately possible, in addition to weight. Buyers get weary of emailing for dimensions, combined shipping policies, and pieces included in listing. That, combined with rotten photos, or what appear to be deceptive photos--I just pass by the listing if it fails any one of the above pcs of info, unless I am really, really interested for some reason.

Yes, customers pass you by; and they also avoid sellers they think are selling bogus minerals by another name.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

See my response to rocks1101 on 9/7 regarding id. Arizona tells me lots, combined with a few photos--you may have a buyer. Yes, rockhounds buy BIG things. I have many pcs weighing in excess of 100lbs and often purchase rocks, minerals over 10 lbs. I prefer ground shipping or least expensive shipping because of weight--but I also expect to pay a "reasonable" shipping price if the item is big and what I am looking for.  Thanks for asking!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I like confusionite for both the stack rocks I haven't been able to ID and the experience I have in the "forum" or "community".  Hope this finds it way to you.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply