cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return fraud suddenly up over 500% this week

Does anyone know what is going on with this.   In the past week suddenly I've had several returns that the buyer picks "doesn't match picture or description" yet in the return reasons for details they put buyers remorse reasons and admit it was there mistake.

3 of these buyers that I talked to told me buyers remorse reasons weren't shown to  them as an option when they were choosing the return reason.   The option doesn't fit, don't need anymore, or any such option isn't shown to them so they pick not as described because they don't know what else to pick.

Liebay also says they will protect you and credit the return shipping however this is a flat out lie.   Every single return I got this month the buyer admits it's a buyers remorse reason and they made a mistake, yet they still show on my service metrics page, and if it keeps happening I'll eventually have to pay higher fees.

I won't do that of course.  I'll take my $250,000 of listed inventory, as well as the $750,000 of unlisted inventory to Ebay's top competitor I refuse to be treated like this. 

I don't understand why Ebay raises fees yet provides the worst service to sellers of any online retailer. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Here are two of 5 recent examples.   This never happened until the last 2 weeks, suddnly all the returns I have had are for buyer remorse reasons but they pick item not described.

Ebay completely lies when it says it credits you a $6 return label and removes the defects on your metrics.  

I don't care about paying for the return shipping, what I care about is my return metrics are getting bad, if they get very high and I pay a higher final value fee I guess I'll have to try my luck in arbitration.  I will not allow Ebay to profit off fraud by charging me a higher fee because of their new buyers ripping off sellers with return fraud.  

ScreenHunter_451 Feb. 10 13.45.jpgScreenHunter_450 Feb. 10 13.44.jpg

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Are you reporting the users for return abuse??

"Falsely claiming an item was not as described"

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy... 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I hardly ever got returns, maybe one or two a year.  This month I have had an insane amount of returns, some of them are false NAD or not authentic reasons.  I don't mind taking returns but I do mind a false claim that I didn't describe something properly.  One was silverware that the person ordered but didn't read the description, and multiple claims in which cheap jewelry that didn't claim to be anything but what it was in the picture (no brand, age or style, just photos of the necklace and its size) was not authentic?  I never claimed anything to be a certain brand or whatever so how is it not authentic?  Buyers keep making assumptions about things without reading titles or descriptions.  I'm ready to dump jewelry because the return rate is ridiculous.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Yes I've reported each one of them , and they are obvious, because in each instance the buyer puts a remorse reason in the return details.

None have been reversed or removed from metrics, I can pay the return shipping I consider that a cost of doing business, but I can't tolerate it being stacked up against my metrics.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

This is what's happening to me.   I've sold auto parts on Ebay for 2 years now, in February my returns are up substantial, and all but one have been return fraud where the buyer claims it's not as described or doesn't match description and then writes a buyer remorse reason in the return details.

It just sucks, despite my love hate relationship with ebay, I still enjoy selling things on here, but when I start getting punished for the rash of under 10 feedback bidders that continually commit return fraud against here I draw the line and I'll have to go somewhere else.  I don't want to, but I'm not accepting punishment for fraud that I'm not committing. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@tenoem wrote:

Yes I've reported each one of them , and they are obvious, because in each instance the buyer puts a remorse reason in the return details.

None have been reversed or removed from metrics, I can pay the return shipping I consider that a cost of doing business, but I can't tolerate it being stacked up against my metrics.

Metrics do be the problem with this. No advice from me on this.

Most say to use facebook to contact ebay on such problems.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I’m dealing with the same thing. I’m a small seller, not a business.  I only really sell household items that still have value but we no longer need. I recently sold a few computer peripherals for my son who upgraded. I do not accept returns and it’s clear in my listing. Due to the nature of electronics items, I’ve no control over what someone does to it after it leaves my home. I sold a gaming mouse a few weeks ago.  Guy had it over a week before requesting the return. Chose INAD which clearly isn’t the case. It was described as a used gaming mouse and that’s exactly what he got. In his description he claims his monitor doesn’t work with the mouse so I need to refund him.  Clearly not my problem but rather than accept the return I offered many troubleshooting ideas. He would accept that.  I didn’t accept the return and reported him as a fraudulent buyer for claiming INAD when it’s not true. Ebay still is processing the return. Wonder if I’ll even get it back.  So, now, I’m out the shipping, the high seller fees-again, I’m not a business, just a person trying to sell used items instead of throwing them in a landfill. Ebay doesn’t seem to care. After this transaction is done I will probably cancel my account. Been on ebay since 2003. It’s a shame they care so little of their sellers. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

who is that competitor? because at this point I'm coming with you... I only posted a few of my **bleep** items to test the platform, I'm thinking eBay assumed it was my whole hand. That and the ridiculous selling limit they put me on... seriously whatever happened to free enterprise? Try Slave-bay you'll love it!!! not! 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@highenergygal wrote:

I’m dealing with the same thing. I’m a small seller, not a business.  I only really sell household items that still have value but we no longer need. I recently sold a few computer peripherals for my son who upgraded. I do not accept returns and it’s clear in my listing. Due to the nature of electronics items, I’ve no control over what someone does to it after it leaves my home. I sold a gaming mouse a few weeks ago.  Guy had it over a week before requesting the return. Chose INAD which clearly isn’t the case. It was described as a used gaming mouse and that’s exactly what he got. In his description he claims his monitor doesn’t work with the mouse so I need to refund him.  Clearly not my problem but rather than accept the return I offered many troubleshooting ideas. He would accept that.  I didn’t accept the return and reported him as a fraudulent buyer for claiming INAD when it’s not true. Ebay still is processing the return. Wonder if I’ll even get it back.  So, now, I’m out the shipping, the high seller fees-again, I’m not a business, just a person trying to sell used items instead of throwing them in a landfill. Ebay doesn’t seem to care. After this transaction is done I will probably cancel my account. Been on ebay since 2003. It’s a shame they care so little of their sellers. 

" I recently sold a few computer peripherals for my son who upgraded. : Easy target for scammers.

Not advisable to sell such on eBay at all.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Wish I’d have known that sooner.  It *used to be* a place to resell anything you’d usually put in a garage sale. Guess not anymore. Lesson learned. I’m still fighting this crap as much as I can. 

@donsdetour wrote:

" I recently sold a few computer peripherals for my son who upgraded. : Easy target for scammers.

Not advisable to sell such on eBay at all.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: