cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY Allowing Buyer To Get Away With Misuse of Returns

I've been reselling on eBay part time for quite a while now. While I've dealt with scammers, unreasonable buyers, buyers misusing returns etc. - this is the first time I've ever noticed eBay no longer stepping in for misuse of returns. 

A buyer opened a return 29 days after the item was delivered for "item not as described" , and then in the comment for the return they put "you must not sell used items for this price. refund my money". Clearly a misuse of returns, but I know eBay's "accept the return" game , so I have a 30 day return policy. When I called customer service, they told me my best bet would be to accept the return, wait until the item was delivered, and then report the buyer, they would then step in and allow me to keep the money and item. FROM PREVIOUS EXPERIANCE - this is how things were handled when buyers blatantly misused returns.

To my surprise, eBay no longer does that. When buyers misuse returns now, you can report them but as a seller we are still required to refund their money. eBay does not step in on the case and review it. The best eBay will do is not make us pay for the return shipping label - but we still have to issue the buyer the full original amount. At first I thought this must have been some type of error, but after reading their updated policy things have changed with how eBay handles buyers who misuse returns. Yet again, allowing them to get away with it. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It is so frustrating. Especially when you are a long-term seller with Ebay and have an excellent history/feedback.  Even with clear evidence of buyer MBG/returns abuse, it seems they always side with the buyer, even if they have low feedback/short history. I came on here for information as we are dealing with a similar issue. Buyer states the new, unused arrived damaged. However, pictures prove the buyer used and damaged an item plus lied on the return request. We do not accept returns and Ebay is forcing us to accept the return. They stated to appeal when we receive the item back from the buyer as it will be a used item. Even given all of the information we have showing the buyer is abusing the return policy, I have no faith that Ebay will side with us on the appeal.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

With a 30day refund policy, wouldn’t you be entitled to only hold back return shipping costs?  I don’t see how you should be allowed to keep the item and the buyer’s money.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It is **bleep** that you pay for shipping as a seller one way and then you pay again for return shipping and the buyer, even if they abuse the system, does not have to pay for the return shipping and the initial shipping WHEN THE ITEM WAS DESCRIBED PERFECTLY!!!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi @kdrew 

I'm really sorry this happened ... but eBay has no way to know whether or not any item is 'described perfectly'.  It's mostly an automated system.  You might consider charging for shipping and offering free returns.  That way you are able to deduct some money from a refund under certain circumstances.

[BTW, you posted to an old thread.  It would be better to start a new thread so that you can get your own answers.  Moderators lock old threads after a new post is added.]

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: