cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Executive Chat, Oct 26th @ 2pm PT - Griff

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us this Thursday 10/26 at 2 pm Pacific for our next Executive Community Chat with Griff. 

Jim "Griff" Griffith joined eBay in Nov 1996 as eBay's first customer support rep. He has held several roles since then including Manager of Training, Community Development, Seller Strategy as well as eBay spokesperson for Corporate Communications.

Griff is the author of The Official eBay Bible and host of eBay Radio and today works on the  Seller Evangelism team, focused on Community.

Griff sells apparel on eBay under the ID "griffville."

Join this one hour 'Ask Me Anything' session to get to know Griff better, ask a question, or share your feedback about buying & selling on eBay. 

Griff_Radio.png

Chat with you then!  

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

@mallontown wrote:
Hello Griff
In the last month I have had a large % increase in buyers paying for items and then changing their mind and asking to cancel the order. I see that my competitors items are shown at the bottom of my listings and I think that is the main reason as many people are price conscious and see the same or similar item.
Is there a way to remove these competitors ads from my item pages?

Hello Mallontown,

Are your buyers telling you why they are cancelling their orders? It would be a mistake to assume the are doing so because of "see related listings." But, you can "pre-empt" that space for your own listings if you run at least one promotion for some (selected) or all of your listings. When a seller runs a promotion, the space where "see related listings" shows will show your promoted listings instead.

However, if your competition is truly underpricing you, your buyers may still find those listings on eBay and decide to cancel in order to purchase the item at a lower cost. Sellers should always stay on top of their competition so they can adjust their prices to stay "in the game."

Griff

Griff

griff@ebay.com wrote:

@mallontown wrote:
Hello Griff
In the last month I have had a large % increase in buyers paying for items and then changing their mind and asking to cancel the order. I see that my competitors items are shown at the bottom of my listings and I think that is the main reason as many people are price conscious and see the same or similar item.

Hello Mallontown,

Are your buyers telling you why they are cancelling their orders? It would be a mistake to assume the are doing so because of "see related listings." But, you can "pre-empt" that space for your own listings if you run at least one promotion for some (selected) or all of your listings. When a seller runs a promotion, the space where "see related listings" shows will show your promoted listings instead.

However, if your competition is truly underpricing you, your buyers may still find those listings on eBay and decide to cancel in order to purchase the item at a lower cost. Sellers should always stay on top of their competition so they can adjust their prices to stay "in the game."

Griff

Thanks for the tip Griff.

Is this proted listing you state for any promotion or only for the paid promoted listings?

Also I could find no where listed on ebay where the info you provided is listed. Can you forward me to where ebay states what you did or is a hidden trick that only few know. 

And to follow that up are there any other tips you could provide?

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 61 of 74
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrysylys wrote:

griff@ebay.com wrote:

@goodtreats wrote:

Did you hear about the problem with ads sabotaging people trying to navigate (view or list items, etc.) eBay? It went on for some days this week, and in the thread "Ads interfere with viewing" chrysylys (Rockstar) mentioned this chat as a place to find out more about the problem. Users couldn't find for items because the screen kept jumping to the bottom where a video ad would play.  If you scrolled back up, you were immediately taken back down to the ads on the bottom of the page again. Today it seems better, but I don't know if that means the problem has been resolved. Do you have an update on this? Thanks.

Hi Goodtreats

I have seen this in the past and it sounds very much like malware. (We don't display ads in this fashion). If you see this type of floating video ad, you should immedately run antimalware software (like malwarebytes or ad blocker).

Griff

A review of threads on both the Bidding & Buying and the Selling boards over the past week or so will show you several threads with posts by a number of different people, all complaining about the same things.  Very unlikely they are all infected with the same malware.  It's verey clearly being served up on the listings pages.

Hi @chrysylys@, though the chat is coming to close today, would you mind @mentioning tyler@ebay or myself in some of threads you've seen so we can dig into this? While with our changes to active content it would be incredibly difficult for malicious code to be within a listing, we will be happy to have this reviewed to rule out any eBay site issue.

Message 62 of 74
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Hey Gang.  When are you going to take decisive action to STOP this kind of thing once and for all here?  It has become far too common.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-returned-a-different-item-Help/m-p/27666907/highlight/fa...

Hello chrysylys,

The Returns team recently added a feature to the returns flow that allows a seller in this situation to report the incident to eBay. Sellers can and should immediately escalate the return case to eBay should a buyer attempt to return an item that was not the item the seller shipped.

Griff

Griff

eBay For Business Podcast
Message 63 of 74
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

One more.... Maybe someone can pass this on to the mobile apps team.

When sellers are printing a shipping label for the first time on the app they are prompted to sign the billing agreement BUT they are not told that they need to log onto a  desktop and print a label there first to sign the billing agreement and then they can return to using the app.

Seems like an easy win for everyone involved if it had a bit more info on how to go about it! I'll get it sent to the devs. 😄

Tyler,
eBay
Message 64 of 74
latest reply

Thank you all for joining today. We have closed the thread as the hour is up. 

We will stick around to answer any questions we have not got to yet, so make sure you subscribe to receive notifications of future posts. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 65 of 74
latest reply

griff@ebay.com wrote:

I am curious what exactly the email says that buyers receive when they are told they will be getting a refund.

I know it says 48 hours because I get all of the complaints of WHERE is my money, ebay said it is coming in 48 hours.    Does it say anything else because it takes longer than 48 business hours for many of the refunds to process.  Especially for for credit card refunds which can sometimes take weeks.  

Hello comics-scifi-collectibles ,

The text for the email to the buyer differs depending on the reason for the refund. Do you have a specfic case reason for the refund?

Griff

I am saying in general.  For post refunds cases.    

I have many who ask the same question,  right now my response is to share the link to the paypal chart of where my refund is and how long it can take PLUS advising to contact CS if they do not get their refund after a couple of weeks.

Just trying to give correct info.  When I am answering questions that I do not know the otherside of it makes it difficult.  

The Op's are not sharing screen shots so I have no idea what any of them say.

I have never returned an item or needed a refund so I have not seen one personally.  

Here is a screen shot of an email I received for a refund I was sent by a seller.

2017-10-26_14-28-14.png

Griff

Message 66 of 74
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:
Can I clarify if a partial refund gives the seller a seller canceled transaction defect?

Example if I sell a $500 coin and the holder is cracked in transit and the buyer requests $25 to reholder it. Would I receive a seller cancelled transaction defect for giving that $25 as a partial refund if the sale is not cancelled and nothing else was done besides the partial refund?

Hi @coinslabz26, I actually published a Knowledge Base article about this recently so I will be happy to answer this! As long as there are messages on eBay explaining the partial refund being issued, no defect should be recorded. 

Can I clarify....Does that mean I will get a defect that will be eligable for removal, or ebay will see there is communication and a defect will never be given? Thanks so much!

Happy to clarify! To quote the Knowledge Base article I shared previously:

"A partial refund can lead to a defect if there are no eBay messages between you and your customer that show the reason for the refund."

To rephrase this, if there is communication on eBay explaining the reason for the partial refund, a defect will not be recorded slight_smile

How about when a full refund is issued because the buyer does not know how to install the item and returns as "does not fit". The "does not fit" results in the buyer paying the return, but as the seller I am stuck with the initial shipping cost (free shipping), and the $0.30 Paypal fee.  Am I  getting a "defect" as well?

A full refund should only be processed through a cancellation or an eBay Money Back Guarantee case. For the example you have provided, you would refund through either a Return Request or a Cancel Transaction for the "Buyer requested" reason. Neither of these processes would result in a defect.

Message 67 of 74
latest reply

@z50com wrote:

Griff, I've been here a long time.

Me & my wife work out of our garage.

We sell stuff you can't buy at Walmart or Home Depot.

You took away 1% of our money by reducing TRS discounts

And now you expect me to pay more for promoted listings?

I don't see the value in paying eBay more for less. . .

And when you throw stuff on my listings it really makes it hard to think you really care about your sellers.

i DON'T sell on Amazon, Etsy, Bonanza, eCrater or any of your other competition.

It seems that once we listed over 200 items (more then 1 page) our sales fell off the cliff.

eBay is 95% of our income and right now it's NOT paying the bills!

I know sales fluctuate but month to month to month decrease in sales hasn't happened in the 17 years I've been selling here.

THERE'S MORE TO THE STORY NO ONE IS TELLING, what's really going on here?

Is their that many more sellers or fewer buyers?

Hi z50com

There is no story here. There are more sellers and buyers and more inventory. Your competition may be underpricing you. But we are not hiding your listings. Our buyer traffic has increased by 2 million (new buyers) in Q3. If a seller's sales have slowed, the worst thing they could do is nothing and blame eBay. You need to reasses your business and inventory. I suggest starting with your competitors both on and off eBay. (here is a link to our recent earnings call for Q3 2017)
https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-inc-reports-third-quarter-2017-results/

Griff

Griff

Message 68 of 74
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Griff - I'm sorry to say but sales are down for the majority of us on the boards. This should be the beginning of the holiday shopping season and sales are atrocious - but.... I have tried to let those who come to the boards know that sales are down across the net on all the venues. 

With the hurricanes and wild fires - a good majority of our biggest and best selling states are experiencing  problems that have left them without power, homes and disposable income. Those of us with disposable income have been donating to help those who have suffered so we aren't spending as much here. It's been slow for the past couple of months and I don't think we'll see an uptick until after the first of the year.

These problems are beyond anyone's control and there is no shame in admitting that.

Hello tunicaslot

Although the natural disasters did have a serious impact on the businesses of those eBay sellers who live in the affected areas, overall, eBay did  not see a dip in sales volume. If a seller is experiencing slower sales, they need to reasses their inventory, pricing, presentation, etc. They should start by researching their competition both on and off eBay to make sure their pricing is viable. In addition, there are some categories on eBay where the volume of merchandise is starting to exceed demand. Preowned apparel is one category where this is definitely true.

Griff

Griff

Message 69 of 74
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

griff@ebay.com wrote:

@mallontown wrote:
Hello Griff

Hello Mallontown,

Griff

Many sellers wares do not qualify for "promotions" because of the category.

Buyers are shown like items right after they buy. Sometimes lower. No doubt that requests to cancel come in when that is done.  I have ben presented with other like items after making a purchase, but just kick myself for not looking more, and continue with the transaction. Some buyer hit the "reques to cancel". 

Then the first thing that seller should do is readjust his pricing.

Griff

Message 70 of 74
latest reply

@alcoforever wrote:

How should I handle a request from a bidder to come look at an item before committing to buy?

I recently had on auction a pricey item that a buyer messaged me if he could come look at it.  I replied that it was OK and gave him my phone number.  He came, looked, and left.    About 4 days later, I got the nastygram from ebay about taking sales off-site.   Another day later and my looker sniped the winning bid on the item.    He paid, I delivered, ebay got its fees.    So how do I prevent these nastygrams in the future?

Hi alcoforever

I assume this doesn't happen often. But if a buyer asks to come and inspect an item before bidding, that email will trigger an email warning from eBay. The warning does not result in any negative impact on your account unless you cancel the listing (end it early). But if a buyer sends this type of request and you agree, the automatic email will be sent.

Griff

Griff

Message 71 of 74
latest reply

@99623 wrote:

When will things change for the better around here.

eBay needs to level the playing field for buyers and sellers, feedback is a joke and the buyers can take advantage of the sellers with no impunity.

The sellers should have the right to not accept returns no matter what. If a buyer doesn't like the sellers no returns they need to move on.

ebay is outsourcing the call center, it's a shame when people who are citizens of the USA needing a job and eBay outsourcing them to a third word country for pennies on the dollars.

Hi 99623
I am not sure I understand what you mean about feedback. Feedback has no impact at all on a seller's performance standing.

Sellers can state that they do not take returns. However, that does not pre-empt the buyer's ability to open a case for Item Not As Described. I don't recommend a "no returns" policy since it definitely turns off all buyers (and sends them to your competitors who do take returns).

Griff

Griff

Message 72 of 74
latest reply

@mallontown wrote:
@mallontown wrote:
Hello Griff

Hello Mallontown,

Griff

Griff

griff@ebay.com wrote:

@mallontown wrote:
Hello Griff

Hello Mallontown,

Griff

Thanks for the tip Griff.

Is this proted listing you state for any promotion or only for the paid promoted listings?

Also I could find no where listed on ebay where the info you provided is listed. Can you forward me to where ebay states what you did or is a hidden trick that only few know. 

And to follow that up are there any other tips you could provide?

My pleasure.

I was referencing Promotions Manager (not Promoted Listings but that is a great tool as well). If you are an eBay Store subscriber, you have access to Promotions Manager.  It's not a "hidden trick." I suggest that you start here:

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/grow-your-business/boost-sales/manage-promotions.html#your-choic...

And Promoted Listings can be a very effective way of increasing exposure. You don't pay for a promoted listing until it sells. I suggest starting here:

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/stores/promoted-listings/benefits.html

Griff

Griff

Message 73 of 74
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your questions and comments. I am always happy to assist sellers with their eBay businesses. You can always reach me directly at griff@ebay.com using regular email (not Community Messages).

Regards,

Griff

Griff

Message 74 of 74
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: