cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus signs between words in "Search"

When I enter sveral words in the Search Box Ebay's search engine has started inserting the plus sign (+) between the words (example:   beer+goblets+glasses).  With the plus sign between words it will not do a complete search so I have to manually delete the +'s.  It never used to do that and it just started a couple of days ago.  How do I get it to stop doing that? It's driving me crazy.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Someone on one of the threads suggested bookmarking the searches and I have done that. I've given up on ebay search. I can work through things faster with the bookmarks anyway.
Message 61 of 82
latest reply

@microshnik wrote:

Hey tyler@ebay, if I tell you where the bad encoding is, do you think that will speed up the process of getting this fixed?  I've narrowed it down to a particular line of JS that's apparently generated server side as part of the body of a search page.  Obviously I can't tell you what file in eBay's code to look in, but I sure can give your devs enough information to find it.  How 'bout it??

Howdy @microshnik - I can definitely pass it on, sure! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 62 of 82
latest reply

Thank you! I had no problem at all getting it to work on my Android Tablet, after finally giving up with my Firefox Laptop.

Message 63 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay, I am deeply saddened.  After discovering that I could test my proposed fix because the AJAX request for saving a search is submitted via GET rather than POST, I was able to determine that it is not just badly-encoded values in some JavaScript on the search page.  The search I submitted was saved (so I know my test was valid), but it was still mangled with misplaced plus-signs even though I submitted correctly-encoded URLs.  The problem is thus deeper in server-side code than I can see to properly direct your developers to it.  I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up.  😞

Message 64 of 82
latest reply

hey tyler@ebay - 

been having same issue for over a month now.  And therefore I am not receiving the emailed listings of my saved searches.  This has greatly diminished in the amount of items I purchase from the site, much to my chagrin and my checkbook's delight.  

PLEASE FIX!!

Message 65 of 82
latest reply

same here. the search function on ebay is now unusable, although each change over the past fews years has made it worse and worse. i still use ebay (a lot) although would love for a viable alternative.

Message 66 of 82
latest reply

Tyler,

I am not a coder programmer just an old user. Your suggestion of Accepting Solutions is **bleep**! So we should use bandaids because ebay is unable to fix an issue that they created. Seems we have fallen into the total lack of any semblance of Customer Service vortex.

Message 67 of 82
latest reply

@microshnik wrote:

tyler@ebay, I am deeply saddened.  After discovering that I could test my proposed fix because the AJAX request for saving a search is submitted via GET rather than POST, I was able to determine that it is not just badly-encoded values in some JavaScript on the search page.  The search I submitted was saved (so I know my test was valid), but it was still mangled with misplaced plus-signs even though I submitted correctly-encoded URLs.  The problem is thus deeper in server-side code than I can see to properly direct your developers to it.  I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up.  😞

@microshnik - thanks for trying! You've already delved deeper than I'm capable of properly following (IT was never my strong suit), and I appreciate you taking the time to work on it. I hope we see a fix for this quickyl. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 68 of 82
latest reply

@domo5547 wrote:

Tyler,

I am not a coder programmer just an old user. Your suggestion of Accepting Solutions is **bleep**! So we should use bandaids because ebay is unable to fix an issue that they created. Seems we have fallen into the total lack of any semblance of Customer Service vortex.

Hi @domo5547 - are you referring to my signature? That's a general advisement to encourage everyone to use the 'Accept as Solution' button when a comment resolves someone's concern (be that a how-to question, business advice, etc). Accepted solutions help anyone coming to the thread in the future see what solved the OP's question in case they're running into something similar. 

It's not a specific answer to this problem which, as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, is something that is currently being worked on. Just a general suggestion. Smiley Happy 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 69 of 82
latest reply

@scotchitalian wrote:

hey tyler@ebay - 

been having same issue for over a month now.  And therefore I am not receiving the emailed listings of my saved searches.  This has greatly diminished in the amount of items I purchase from the site, much to my chagrin and my checkbook's delight.  

PLEASE FIX!!

Hi @scotchitalian - I wish I had an update for you other than 'it's still being worked on', but I don't. Especially since it sounds like your checkbook is being smug about things. Smiley Tongue 

I've gotten you and @vcoheda  added to the open ticket as also impacted, and hope to see it fixed in the near future. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 70 of 82
latest reply

"They changed something."  Now we have the added annoyance of not being able to modify an existing saved search (it always saves a new one), BUT the response to clicking "Save this search" is now different, with the addition of a more-intuitive checkbox for toggling email and a text input for specifying a name!  The even better news is that *IF* you replace the plus-signs that represent spaces in the URL with %20, it now works exactly as expected.  So there's still some futzing necessary, but we're moving in the right direction!  😄

Important caveats: This seems to be a set of changes not yet rolled out to non-US versions of the site, and I can't even be sure that every search result page at ebay.com has the new behavior.

Message 71 of 82
latest reply

Naming searches is nothing but the return of a useful feature they arbitrarily removed a few years ago. Thanks, but... The addition of a "feedback on the search feature" icon gives us the opportunity to give them plenty of feedback on the plus-sign bug, along with other misfeatures. I find the introduction of the "your search matches lots of stuff; try using categories" message particularly annoying. (Yes, I know it matches lots of things, and they're spread over enough different categories, whether you like it or not. If my search parameters are ineffective, I'll change them myself, thank you very much.) And I'd love to see wild cards come back.
Message 72 of 82
latest reply

My mom has been having this issue, and I've started having it as well now. It's making it super difficult for both of us to locate some harder to find items. A lot of them might show up with specified keywords but once the plus signs get thrown in there the results disappear on me because they only have some and not all of the words. Or the search just completely errors out on me.

Message 73 of 82
latest reply

I'm having the exact same problem. Deeply annoying.

Message 74 of 82
latest reply

It's happening to me too. I had started a topic about before I saw other's are having the same problem.

It started a few weeks ago but I thought is was jsut a glitch and would be fixed.

Another issue that's be ongoing but I ignored is sometimes when using advanced search it says zero search results with what I typed in but suggests a whole list of rsults using the exact word or phrase I typed.

Message 75 of 82
latest reply