cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible wins -- Oh no !!

I bid on a necklace and it said I wasn't the highest bidder, so I bid a few more times, but kept getting the "not highest bidder" message, so I went on to the same necklace in a lower price range and started over. Exact same thing as the first. Kept bidding higher, not the highest bidder, gave up, moved on to another necklace. I came back the next day (today) to find that I actually won all three. Oh no ! How could that possibly happen and what do I do now? I can't pay for all three! Panicking...... 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you were the second highest bidder and the winning bidder bombed, you may have bought them. Asking the seller to cancel is a remedy...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. I'll try that right now.....
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Bidders ahead of you backed out of their bids and your previous bids became the highest bidder.

Was it the same seller? China? You may have emails/messages that state bidders retracted and you are now the highest bidder.

You can ask the other sellers to cancel, check to see if it is the same seller. You can also cancel the sales, do know that if you do that you will receive a cancelation strike against your buying account. Do it too often and eBay penalizes you.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Pull up the bids page for each item towards the bottom of the page and if you check your emails there will probably be messages that bids were retracted. After the bids were pulled from the person who out bid you then you got placed as the highest bidder and won because no one else one. This also could be a sign of bid manipulation but could just be a coincidence. While reviewing the bids if you click on the bidders name it should pull up the bidding history for that user. If the bidding history is only for that particular seller then that is another bad sign.

I would suggest messaging the sellers and let them know as there were bid retractions that manipulated the bidding to end just at your max bid you do not feel comfortable completing the purchase and ask them to cancel. However the seller does not have to do this and if you do not pay you could get unpaid item strikes.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

When you are outbid, ebay cautions you to NOT bid on similar items (until that auctions ends) because you could end up as the high bidder due to retractions by the high bidder or cancellations by the seller.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Welp. Yes, it was from China. Yep. Same seller. There were actually 3 necklaces -- I didn't realize that before -- and they all did the same thing, and they were all the same seller. I had no idea that could happen. I ended up having to pay for one, and they cancelled the other two. Gosh you guys, thanks for your help. I was so freaked out. Maybe I'll avoid that seller from now on....

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

A bit older and a bit wiser. It's a good day!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply