cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Western Germany Ruby Glass Decanter

Might be a long shot but hoping someone can help with information on this ruby cut glass decanter. It stands about 15" high and has the remnants of a foil sticker that says "Western Germany". Haven't been able to ID a maker or pattern - closest I've come to is Nachtmann. No markings other than "265" etched on the bottom of the stopper and the bottom of the decanter. Thank you in advance!  Mark

900-93 003.JPG

900-93 004.JPG

900-93 005.JPG

900-93 008.JPG

900-93 020.JPG

900-93 018.JPG

900-93 023.JPG

900-93 026.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is cut to clear so a variety of cased glass with a ruby overlay or glass or a stain. I do not know who done it.
george
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you once again George. Can you educate me on how to tell if it is cased glass or stained?  Mark

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Look for scratches if found stain. It looks like a ruby overlay to me but I would need hands on to be sure.You should see a thin layer of red when looking at the edge of the cuts. Try using a loupe.
george
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

When I look closely at the cuts with magnification I can see kind of a three dimensional "layer" that looks pretty thick so I'm thinking it is cased glass? But there are a few very faint "scratches" on the surface of the red so now I'm confused? 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The scratches would go thourgh the color and show clear glass for it to be stain. If the scratch is just red it would be an overlay.
george
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you George! 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply