cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify signed, stamped, antique porcelain from Germany

I have additional photos; I can only post 4 here. My mom gave me these lamps; the set has been in the family and passed down. I see a signature; for the life of me I cannot read it (I tried several ways; I attached the clearest photo here).  Both pieces are marked 'Germany' (as in photo). One of the set is signed by the artist (gold paint; photo attached). I am fairly certain both pieces were stamped (in a black mark); one is not legible and the other barely. It looks like there is a #84 on the one. If you are able to identify this I'd greatly appreciate it; I will be looking to sell them. I realize they are quite dirty; I don't want to clean them unless I am certain I won't damage them. Also, are you able to tell me, were they originally lamps (like these, or have these been rewired)? Also, if they were not originally lamps, are they devalued by being made into lamps (assuming these are of value). A date of origination would be great too. Thank you!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It looks like Sitzendorf.   It is hard to tell because it looks like a crown with the S.

They were probably never lamps and rather converts.Sitzendorf made candlestick holders , figurines and other buffet items.

The lace on one of the figures was often used in their lace lady designs.   The lace ladies are still collectable,  but you would have to get an expert to look at these to see if condition or if they were converted from Candle holders.

Sitzendorf lamps  usually had a bisque base to them.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

none of these marks are the maker of the porcelain figures.  all I see for the gold mark is a smear.  the figures were made separately and assembled with the lamps by another company.  I have no idea when they were assembled.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your reply; I appreciate it. I'm not doubting your expertise. However, I can assure you, the gold mark is not a smear.

Do you know who may have done work like this, or what period of time this is from?

Thank you.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Why would you post a photo of the "gold mark" (looks like a smear to me as well) with flash directly covering it?  Maybe post a different photo of the smear without flash over it.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

As one of the lamps had a bolt missing on the bottom, I disassembled part of it. There was a stamp on the bottom of the piece. I've incl. 2 new photos (the mark as well as 'the only area' that I see missing lace). Any help in identifying is appreciated. If there is any real value here, I would like to sell this (or the set). Thank you again!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Alerting me that the porcelain lamps were assembled by another company, knowing one was missing a bolt, I thought to take it apart. There is a mark on the bottom of the piece; I have attached the photo in a reply (by me) below. Thank you! Perhaps there is value in the pieces after all. Your further advice is appreciated, thank you again!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Please see my own 'new' reply with added photos below. Your assistance is appreciated! Thank you.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

This might be a little easier to read, I adj. the contrast, light.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

looks like a badly smudged sitzendorf mark.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

It looks like Sitzendorf.   It is hard to tell because it looks like a crown with the S.

They were probably never lamps and rather converts.Sitzendorf made candlestick holders , figurines and other buffet items.

The lace on one of the figures was often used in their lace lady designs.   The lace ladies are still collectable,  but you would have to get an expert to look at these to see if condition or if they were converted from Candle holders.

Sitzendorf lamps  usually had a bisque base to them.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I orig. posted this as a lamp set (also made in Germany, stamped on brass base).

I've taken apart both lamps; I can now see that one is clearly marked with a crown and what looks to be a 5. The other is marked the same, just not as clear. Please see photos attached. There are some missing pieces of lace; I posted the max. # of photos allowed here. I'm looking to id these and find their value; I wish to sell them. Thank you.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

did you see the id's already posted?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much for your response!
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Great, thank you!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, and no I did not see your earlier comment before this one. If not for you I'd have never taken apart the lamps (which I can easily put back together of course), the lamps which were covering up the actual mark (guessing the gold leaf may be a smudge after all). Now I will need to see if they are worth anything!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply