cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOOKING TO FIND A GOOD INDENTIFICATION GUIDE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART POTTERY. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Have collected a lot of contemporary art pottery over the years and am now going to start selling some of it. Just wondering if anyone knows of one or more guides for identification on this category. Thanks in advance......Dale

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

LOOKING TO FIND A GOOD INDENTIFICATION GUIDE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART POTTERY. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Guides have been written for many individual potteries, but there's no general reference. That's why people post pictures to the message boards. If you want to try that, please take a picture of the bottom as well as a good side view against a plain background, not the top of your washer next to the detergent, for example. Those kinds of pictures are no help in an image search, and you need good pictures for selling, anyway.
Janet
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

There is a really nice book by Ralph and Terry Kovel titled Kovel's American Art Pottery; The Collector's Guide to Makers, Marks, and Factory Histories but, as Janet said, the forum, with good photos, is a fantastic resource.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks very much! I will post some pics on the board. Guarantee you no one would want to see the top of my washer anyway.... Much appreciated, Dale

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Here are some pics of a piece that I am able to get to right now that I haven't been able to identify. Most of my stuff is just now being unpacked from a recent move. Measures approx. 6 3/4" tall and 12 1/2" wide at top. Glaze in center of bowl is sort of a translucent pool. P1000836.JPGP1000865.JPGP1000866.JPGAny identification help would be much appreciated... Thanks, Dale

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Eep. Asian is a whole other ballgame.
Janet
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

simply put there are no good guides to contemporary art potters.  of the thousands, only a relative few are documented.  there are a couple of websites that document contemporary british potters but those sites are very limited as well.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Figured that might be the case since I really hadn't been able to locate any good reference. Thanks much for your response.... Dale

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks Janet. Guess it will be a difficult one to identify.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply