cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID Arts & Crafts (or Art Nouveau?) Initialed Mottled Green Glossy Glaze Vase

Can anyone help ID this vase? The stepped shoulders and glossy glaze make me think art deco, but the dark cucumber green and curdled texture make me think arts & crafts era. The piece is small, but super dense and heavy. The entire interior of the vase is also glazed, all the way down to the bottom. I can't figure out what the initials are supposed to be--maybe JL or JK? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Help ID Arts & Crafts (or Art Nouveau?) Initialed Mottled Green Glossy Glaze Vase

JMHO, but I see nothing Art Deco, Art Nouveau or Arts and Crafts here. It looks like a something by an artisan potter with the initials JK and could have been made 20 years ago or last week.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The signature on the bottom makes me think student work. Maybe in a college Arts class?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I do think the signature looks amateurish--the thought had crossed my mind it was student work. But there's something about the compactness of it, the way it feels in the hand that makes me wonder if it isn't something by a more skilled hand. The disparate elements are really throwing me off. Thanks for your input--it's appreciated! 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The photo of it laying on its side doesn't really help much. And there aren't enough photos, none of the various sides. Plus no measurements.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The vase measures 4.25" tall, 2.25" wide (at widest point), 1.5" across the top, and 1.5" deep/thick and weighs around 8 oz.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

That glaze is sometimes called frogskin.  It was used on mid-century pieces such as Roseville Raymor. I sold some ramekins like that once. There was also metallic in the glaze.

I tend to agree that it is probably studio made. You could try themarksproject.org. Even though it is hard to identify, some mid-century studio made pottery is very collectible, such as Lietzke, which was popular nationally. Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply