cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A tale of two "Boopies"? Any help appreciated!

So I was getting ready to list these two "Boopie" candlestick holders as well as a sherbet glass when I noticed they didn't exactly macth up. The balls on the bottom are slightly flattened on one of them and the "teeth" inside the holders are slightly different as well. Is it normal for there to be variations in the design depending on the year of fabrication or is one of them the product of another manufacturer? Thanks in advance for suggestions! I'm just OCD and want to make sure I'm being as accurate as possible when I list.

JeffSide by sideSide by sideFlatter boopieFlatter boopieRounder boopieRounder boopie

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Many confuse these with Candlewick by Imperial glass when in fact "Boopie" is made by Anchor Hocking glass. I have sold these (Boopie) and every set I ever seen matched. I don't think this is a set and would not sell as such. Might be a copy or reproduction. These candle holders are very common but I myself have never seen one with flattened balls around edge. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks victor! Seems like I'll have to go the reproduction route on the flattened one, unfortunately. The quality appears a little inferior to the rounded one. Surprising since AH "Boopie" isn't all that high end to begin with... why do a repro on it? The learning curve on this stuff is steep! And I appreciate the heads up on Candlewick. I'm thinking people are just being optimistic when they try identifying "Boopie" as Candlewick since their value is way higher. How long have you been collecting/selling out of curiosity?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I'm a Flea Market Vendor on weekends,  where I pick up most of my stock, since 1987.  I'm not sure if Imperial glass (Candlewick) ever made these, but good place to start looking.  I welcome any questions you may have about glassware. Good Luck to you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I would check here first https://www.candlewicklookalikes.com/
george
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks Gabla, very helpful.  The Libbey glasses look quite similar. Without a maker's mark on the bottom, I don't think I have the experience to make a good call given the choice to buy or not.... but I guess that's part of the business.  I just hate acquiring "junk" as a precursor to gaining experience 😉

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

They look like two different molds and possible a couple of years apart. I douby Anchor Hocking had tight enough quality control so all were the same. possibly somebody brought them together as a "marriage".
george
Message 7 of 7
latest reply