cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

value? Guadeloupe...apres le cyclone...1928

amymasmith
Enthusiast
I have a "View" postcard in my collection with the caption "388 Guadeloupe- Pointe-A-Pitre- Vue dela Ville apres le Cyclone du Septembre 1928." The image is sepia toned. I am not sure of the age. Obviously it is post 1928. Just below the caption to the left is printed: "Edition Boisel Reproduction Interdite. I hav added an album ,and posted pics there, but I am waiting for them to be approved. Anyhow, I found a card of Pointe-A-Pitre apres le cyclone... but with a different view, listed for $200.00 on a website. Anyhow, I don't want to list this thing for 5.99 if it is worth a bit more. Anyone have any clues for me?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I don't know about your card, except I'm sure it would be valuable to Caribbean collectors at least. I do know about that 1928 storm, which also hit Florida incredibly hard, triggering the Okeechobee Flood. This storm in U.S. rankings was second only to the Great Storm that hit Galveston, Texas in 1900. According to my hurricane history book, the storm hit the island of Guadeloupe first, at noon on September 12, 1928. (The barometer reading was said to be an incredible 27.76 inches.) Florida landfall was not until Sept. 16. If that helps any??? --Margaret
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

amymasmith
Enthusiast
The pictures are in the album now...
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

amymasmith
Enthusiast
I am just going to bump this. Any suggestions on how to find the value on this one?
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
there's no definitive value for any postcard....just go with your gut.

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

the fickle folk that buy on ebay will uktimately decide it's value. Start it highter than you paid figuring in all the other variables and you may get a happy suprise - but then again you may not - no rules in the postcard world I'm afraid. Sara
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
I've sold cards that I thought were only worth $1 or $2 for $50 .... and I've sold cards that I thought were worth $50 for $2, lol Sara's right - there are no rules. As I said, just go with your gut. Diane

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I third Diane and Sara's motion. Since this is a card from a friend you might ask her how much she's paid for it and just double that(a rule of thumb in retail is to try and get double your initial investment, at least in certain retail that is). Have no idea how much she paid? Look at the card and just go with whatever your instinct tells you. If you saw it in a store and were familiar with Guadalupe, and thought you might like it, how much would you be willing to pay? Put that as your starting price and hope somebody would want it a heck of a lot more than you would. Hope that helps. Catherine
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

pixiamom
Enthusiast
Sell with the figure you're happy to part with it. $4.99 or $49.00. You can't depend on multiple buyers to drive the sale up in today's eBay climate, I fear. Jane
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

amymasmith
Enthusiast
Well, I listed it starting at $9.99. We shall see.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

amymasmith
Enthusiast

Ooh! Good for you! I have yet to see a 9.99 sale! So if it goes through will this be your first postcard sale? If so CONGRATULATIONS!
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

amymasmith
Enthusiast
Not my first, but maybe my 4th. It is up to $12.50 now. I also have one at $24.00. I am having fun with these things!
Message 13 of 13
latest reply