cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting plus size clothing without a mannequin

I have mannequins for smaller and larger size ladies, but nothing larger. I have posted a fair amount of plus size clothing in the past, and sometimes was able to use the Larger mannequin, but very often the clothing just hung and looked terrible. I am wondering whether it makes sense to find a Plus size mannequin, and if so, where I could get a reasonably priced one. Or are more plus size ladies OK seeing clothing on a hanger? (Personally, I prefer to see them on a hanger for myself!) I just recently took pictures of 7 skirts spreading each skirt out over 2 skirt hangers, since a standard hanger doesn't really show the entire skirt very well. Is that OK, or am I better using a standard hanger and letting the sides hang down? I'd really like to make these postings look good, and attract buyers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all. Lori
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You could make a 'fat suit' for the large form, using a layers with stuffing, or you could just use an old stuffed bra and panties on it.  Also, not to forget that even live models often have a row of clothes pins down the back to better fit and drape the clothing.  I'll buy things that are also on clothes hangers or lying flat on a surface.  To me, the most important things are accurate measurements.

Lea
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

With plus sizes, I prefer a hanger to a mannequin that is too small, especially if the item is draped nicely and held together with pins in the back. It then gives a totally unrealistic appearance and fools the eye about how it is cut and how it will fit. Far better to use a good hanger and list all the relevant measurements. If you do want to invest in a mannequin, you might shop here on eBay to see what's available I did have a nice adustable model that was for actual sewing and fitting purposes, that was adjustable to about a size 22. That worked well.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I ,too would look here on ebay for a mannequin, also you can make one by getting a pair of xxl leggings and a xxl turtleneck and stuff it full of stuffing - polyfill or get a few cans of that spray foam crack filler and use it to fill it out, of course it really only works best on the leggings and maybe the arms, you would have to use the polyfill on your top so you could define a bust, probably easier to get a mannequin. I have also found mannequins on craigslist and etsy, craigslist can sometimes be cheaper. Also is your mannequin isn't large enough take a xxl turtle neck, put it on your dummy and then use lts of polyfill to fill it out, get it on sale at Joann's ,probably only need a couple of bags at most. Good Luck.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I would use the main picture hanging on the hanger then a couple other pics with the item flat on the floor.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Your listings are beautiful you do a wonderful job they are perfect!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you so much!

Lori
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

For a quick low cost solution, try extra large hangers (which I bought for my husband's clothes because he hated the marks that standard sized hangers left on his shirts).  Then pad the hanger part with pool noodles so the clothes hang more like they would on one's shoulders.  Just an idea 😉

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That is an excellent idea !!
and if you're looking for a cheap place to buy them , try your local thrift store. They come into our school's thrift store all of the time…
my hubby snaps them up as he uses them alot when packing very vintage stereo equipment
Message 9 of 9
latest reply