cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to sell 35mm photos- what sells?

Hi!

I recently went to an estate sale and got a lot of like 2000 pictures from this woman's life. Most of them were blurry and poor, but some of them are spectacularly clear and quite interesting.

The woman was an artist (ceramics and jewelry) and took a lot of photos of her work (about 300 35mm. I wondered if people would want to buy those pictures to use as inspiration for their own work. 

There are also candid portraits, pictures of boats, cars, sunsets, all kinds of stuff. They're all 35mm and I don't have any idea how to price them, name them, or what lot sizes to use. There are over 1000 in total. 

Right now I just posted a few samples of grab bag lots of her pictures for pretty cheap but I'm not sure if the pricing is correct. I'm brand new in the Ebay world! 

I have over 350 of them that are all really poor quality, out of focus and dark and idk if I should just throw those out or put them on really cheap for people to craft with or something. But I'm not even sure how cheap that would be. 

Please help! 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

In general, photos don't sell very well unless they are contemporary prints by a well-known artist. Reprints have little value. Older vintage prints of recognizable people or places sometimes sell. Other than that, there are plenty of images available for free on the web, so that brings the value way down. 

I looked at one of your listings, and it has some issues. You need to make it clear if you are selling photographs or slides. They're not the same thing. A photograph is printed on photographic paper, and a slide has a little frame about 2 inches square with the image on transparent plastic in the middle to use for projecting. If it's a slide, then don't call it a photograph, anywhere in the title or listing. You can pretty much guarantee that you will get a Not As Described case because your listing is confusing.

Do the slides have a green X drawn on them, or did you add that to the pictures when you posted them on the listing? At a guess, that probably means the photographer rejected the picture. I think that would significantly lower the value.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I just fixed all of those things but I am still unclear about the value and how to list them. Like lot size/grouping/price/etc. What words sound good to a buyer? What would make them sound most appealing?
I'm just a college grad with student loans due soon and no money lol

Thanks for the tips so far!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply