cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay listing recommendations

I’m new at this and I understand it takes time but when EBay recommends $.99 starting bid that’s usually what I end up with and usually lose money with shipping!  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It takes time for new sellers to understand that when eBay recommends something you just ignore it or do the opposite.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Most people do not do or like auctions anymore. You should consider using the Buy It Now listing with whatever price you are wanting out of the item. If you do want to still do auctions, my rule of thumb is if it's not worth $10 (and most times $20)....then its not worth listing. Anything below that and you are wasting your time....find something better to sell or group several like items together to make it worth more to a buyer.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Looking at your items, there is nothing there I’d auction.  And do not go with the 99 cent start price. If you must use auctions start them at a price you’d be satisfied receiving.  But I’d go fixed price with your merchandise. Also you have items priced at $3.00. a round number. $2.99 is much more attractive to buyers. 

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Your buy it now listings of photos need to be changed to a quantity of 1.

The way they are currently listed is incorrect as you only have 1 LOT to sell.

janet9988_0-1714946477527.png

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

When you sell an item based on only 1 bid, it was a mistake to sell as an auction. Usually it is also a mistake when it sells on two bids and you only get 50 cents more than the starting bid.

The 99 cent starting bid was Ebay's recommendation back in the days when there really were multiple bidders placing multiple bids for most items. You will never go wrong by making your starting bid higher than 99 cents. Auctions suffer from benign neglect due to buyers spending far less time each week on Ebay.

Auctions continue to exist because Ebay is known for auctions. Many new sellers foolishly start selling at auction because they think that is what one does when they sell on Ebay.

Relatively few items are bought by auction compared to fixed price. The number would be minuscule if sellers stopped losing money as you have been.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@johnsymons1958john 

Yeah... I usually ignore that crap. Good luck.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

EBay's suggestions are good for eBay.

Not necessarily for the seller.

Start your Auctions, if you must use them, at a price you would be content to get.

And then hope for a winning bid you will be happy to get.

Never lose money, if you can help it.

EBay is not your friend , eBay is your landlord.

Also Auctions make up less than 15% of listings on eBay, because buyers don't like waiting for seven days to learn they were outbid at the last second.

Use Fixed Price.

Add Best Offer for the "auction thrill".

You can set Accept/Refuse parameters for Best Offers and only see the Acceptable or Accepted offers.  Much less strain.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I would just have your listings on a buy it now or best offer, while building business.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply