cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller needs Basics Clarified

TLDR: I've used this site as buyer but not seller, and I'd like for my random old DVDs/games/action figures to go to anyone interested instead of the bin (and I'm not fussed about getting much money in return), but I'm overwhelmed by the system. 

Can you please tell me if the below understanding is correct? I'd hate if someone bought something from me and I'd delay the process by clueless fumbling. 

1) I list something, including all relevant details and photos, and when/if someone buys it, they pay for the postage costs

2) I go into the labelling section and print out the label with both our details, put the object in a package (such as a bubble mailer, possibly including bubble wrap or packing paper if I'm selling an object that needs a box), and simply stick the label on with adhesive tape

3) I walk down to the post office and put it in a postbox (if it's a DVD or something else that'd fit) or give it to the person behind the counter (if it's a larger box)
4) It gets sent to the buyer

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@dylancarroll  Start here.

Don't forget to enroll in managed payments if you haven't (pretty much what all sites use).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@dylancarroll wrote:

TLDR: I've used this site as buyer but not seller, and I'd like for my random old DVDs/games/action figures to go to anyone interested instead of the bin (and I'm not fussed about getting much money in return), but I'm overwhelmed by the system. 

Can you please tell me if the below understanding is correct? I'd hate if someone bought something from me and I'd delay the process by clueless fumbling. 

1) I list something, including all relevant details and photos, and when/if someone buys it, they pay for the postage costs.

You determine the postage costs for your buyer when you make the listing in the shipping section of the listing form. Input the dimensions/weight of the FINISHED/PACKED product, and (if you use calculated shipping) your buyer will be presented with a shipping cost based on their zip code. This is very basic, you should read more on this aspect.

2) I go into the labelling section and print out the label with both our details, put the object in a package (such as a bubble mailer, possibly including bubble wrap or packing paper if I'm selling an object that needs a box), and simply stick the label on with adhesive tape

Basically, that is correct. All the information for printing the label is "pre-populated". You select the appropraite service from the create shipping label page, and pay for it (either from your pending funds or a paypal account). You are then presented a .pdf page for printing the label.

3) I walk down to the post office and put it in a postbox (if it's a DVD or something else that'd fit) or give it to the person behind the counter (if it's a larger box)

You should make it a habit to hand it to the clerk and get an "acceptance scan".
4) It gets sent to the buyer

This whole response is a rudimentary class on ebay selling. Please use the help pages to learn more so there are no surprises. You have got the "basics", but there's much more.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Before you sell anything you must enroll in MANAGED PAYMENTS (to get paid).   You need to provide your checking account (ROUTING# only) and social security# (for tax purposes).   Name on your EBAY profile, checking account and social security card must be EXACT MATCH (or your application may be denied).

With the new Managed Payments EBAY immediately deducts "selling fees + shipping" and balance is deposited into your checking account 3-5 days AFTER sale is made.    EBAY holds "shipping money" for you so you will have "pending funds" available to print the label.

Because you are a new seller EBAY will hold your money for 30 days.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@dylancarroll wrote:

It's better to hand it to a clerk and get it scanned, then get a receipt.

Without that acceptance scan, you have no proof USPS took possession of the package.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 5
latest reply