Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I receive social disability is it at risk by selling on eBay

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

There's so much bad information here it's scary. The OP is asking about selling things on Ebay when they're receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) income.  The answer is "yes."  The money you receive from Ebay is taxable and reported to the Social Security Administration. This kind of income DOES risk your disability income. There's a lot more to this topic that confuses things, i.e. allowed income amounts, nine-month trial employment, etc., but the short answer is yes. If you receive money, in your own name, from Ebay (or any online sales site) you RISK losing your benefits. 

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Quote:   "So, $1000 turns into $400 that can turn into $240 in your pocket after tax."

Me:  Is this TRUE???????  If this is true, why does anyone bother?  No $$ to be made! Way too much work.  Someone please tell me this is not correct.   😮 😫

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

That is not correct, which is why sellers bother.  That statement includes several false assumptions and overlooks the standard deduction.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

If your disability is income based, then potentially you could find yourself not qualifying depending on how much you sell in a year.  Remember that they do send you tax forms at the end of the year and depending on the dollar amounts, you could find yourself in a jam.  I would strongly suggest that you consult someone with Social Security to verify any income thresholds that you can't go over.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply