cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tracking numbers

Hi there, been dabbling in selling my hand crocheted stuff for a few months and finally got around to messing with my seller dashboard and all that.  I ran a tracking report (it showed a very low percentage) and I noticed that even though I upload my tracking info every week those numbers werent showing up in the report.  Is there a way to fix that (besides using ebay labels)?  Why would it not show my tracking info even though I make sure to upload it?  Any help/answers to this is most appreciated because I been searching around trying to find an answer and I think I just made myself more confused lol.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

tracking numbers

I find it much easier to print labels right from ebay.  Otherwise, you should add the tracking number the same day that you ship a package.   The quicker ebay gets those tracking numbers, the better your score will be.

When you print labels right from ebay you get the tracking for free.  If you sell very much it would eventually pay for a scale if that's what you lack. 

Ebay has worked out the glitches they had so I haven't had any problem with generating and printing the ebay labels in a very long time.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

tracking numbers

Since all of your listing are for the same basic thing they should all weigh the same  so that you shouldn't even need a scale to weigh them.  Just remember what a package weighed at the post office.  If you sell 2 sets to the same person then just double the weight when you do the labels from ebay.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

tracking numbers

I guess I should have been more specific.  I do upload the tracking info the same day, usually right after I get back from the post office.  Also, because of requirements that I had on my other job I have a pretty cool printer that does just about everything, but the ink for it is really expensive and so are the printheads.  So until this one dies and I can replace it with one that uses cheaper ink I dont use the ebay labels very often.  Im not trying to make a fortune here, but I don't want to go in the hole either.  I just am trying to figure out why, without calling ebay, it says I'm not uploading tracking when I actually do every week.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

tracking numbers

Same problem here
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

tracking numbers

Tracking needs to be uploaded within your stated handling time. That's the time between when the sale happened and when tracking is uploaded. If it's set to 0 you could easily miss it if you ship the next day.

It should be located under business policies > your shipping policy.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

tracking numbers

The advantage to using ebay labels in your situation would be that regardless of if the post office is open or not, you can still generate a shipping label and tracking for any sale at any time.

What you're doing now is probably fine for now, but if you plan to expand later you may want to consider some changes. 

1. I can not recommend enough a thermal label printer. It doesn't use ink and you can get free labels. A thermal printer has made shipping for me so much better. Especially for my lighter weight items, ever ounce counts when you're shipping first class and the labels weigh nothing, so they won't contribute to the weight of the package. You shouldn't have a problem finding one on eBay.

2. Postage scale. You can find a 10 or 25 LB scale pretty cheap on eBay. This gives you the advantage of paying for exactly what you need instead of guessing the weight. 

3. Ebay labels gives you a pretty significant discount that you won't get at the post office. 

You can find a list of thermal printers here, these will work with paypal as well. 

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/PPshippinglabelsfaq.html

I use a Zebra LP2844. If you get one i'd suggest going with a LP version (direct thermal) TLP uses transfer film.

4. You can get free labels from UPS and Fedex. Just create a Fedex and UPS account. Under shipping supplies you can order labels for your printer and get them sent to you for free. 

- Fedex will track your usage, so unelss you ship with Fedex you wont' be able to re-order without them giving you a hard time.

- UPS allows you to re-order every 3 months regardless of your usage. 

That's probably more info than you needed but it's something to think about.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply