cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hand woven tapestry with embroidered people & animals (what is this?)

Hello, everyone!

I've not used the community before, but I could use some help with identifying what this embroidered and woven tapestry.  Any idea the country of origin, meaning behind the depiction, age?  Anything will help.

Measures about 78" long (not including tassels) x 13" wide.

Whomever owned it previously had a professional wood stretcher made with orange fabric, then sewed the tapestry onto the orange fabric to preserve it.

The base fabric of the tapestry is hand woven, as you can see the salmon red color varies as the thread changed during the weaving (abrashes).  The salmon red color appears faded, and less so on the tassels, so likely some age (or hung in bright light).

The figures and objects are embroidered with black, dark blue, dark green, bright yellow, white, and pink.  The colors of these threads seem to be very stable, showing no sign of fading.

There appears to be initials, E H, embroidered between two horses(?).

Finally, the orange white boarder at the start of the tassels is an in a delta/zig zag type pattern.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_4583.jpgIMG_4596 (1).jpgIMG_4584.jpgIMG_4588.jpgIMG_4590.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi

I don’t know anything about it, but the figures appear to be knitted and then applied, probably sewn on. (So it’s appliqué, not embroidery).  It possible that the runner is older than the figures, but I have no idea really.  It’s unusual to see knitted appliqués. It has a very folk art look.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The figures are not knitted appliques. This is what chain stitch embroidery looks like. The figures were embroidered with chain stitch, and outlined with what looks like satin stitch.

I don't recognize what culture this might be from, sorry.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Lacemaker must be right. It’s amazing to me that the stitches line up in perfect rows, and that the stitches are all up and down. There are no left-right chain stitches, let alone curved ones. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I just wanted to mention that the animals look like llamas to me, and the men's hats and clothing remind me of Andes folk art needlework that I have seen on Etsy. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply