cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller / buyer protection. I want to sell a car. Is this an escrow situation?

I've sold a bunch of stuff over the years but never a car. If the car is sold via eBay Motors how odes the transaction occur? PayPal? Escrow? Is there a typical 30 day return privelidge? 

I can not seem to find the relavant infor on eBay......

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Depends upon the seller's terms.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@cameraguy2 wrote:

PayPal? Escrow? Is there a typical 30 day return privelidge? 

Paypal. Only for a deposit.

Escrow. No, could open a can of worms.

30 day return privelidge. You're not Walmart.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Pay Pal for deposit, Bank to bank wire transfer or cash in hand for remainder. Titled property As is.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Ebay Motors is a different animal than core Ebay.

You list your car, and it's up to the potential buyer to come and inspect it or have it inspected before bidding/Buying-It-Now....or he takes his chances.

Ebay does not offer an escrow service. There are private companies that do, but I would strongly recommend against using them,  as it can easily turn into a huge fiasco, like if the car is damaged in transit, or the buyers says the car was damaged or misrepresented, etc. We've heard some horror stories right on this board.

List your car, and leave it up to the buyer to do his due diligence. Also, take a lot of pics, including of any damage; and even a video of the car running and driving, and a walk-around, etc. It'll help you get the most money.

There is no 30 day return period on cars. Used cars are sold "as is". The only time Ebay will step in when it comes to a car, is if you fail to deliver a proper title, or if there is purposely-concealed damage (i.e. not just something wrong with the car, but something which was actually hidden- like major frame damage from accident which can not be seen in a routine inspection).

The buyer picks the car up or pays for shipping.

Require a $500 non-refundable deposit via PayPal. The balance via bank wire transfer or cash in person. (Beware, there are plent of phony bank checks making the rounds these days, and one often doesn't know they are fake, even after they've initially cleared the bank...until a month later)

You wait till you have the money in hand before releasing the car and the title.

Best way to do it, is to use Buy-It-Now with a deposit, and check the box which says "require immediate payment"- this will ensure that no one can take the car off the market unless they pay the deposit. If you just run a regular auction, chances are very high that someone will bid and never pay. (We do BIN exclusively now for that reason).

Message 5 of 5
latest reply