cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay motors scam

I got caught in this SCAM too.  I was blinded when I saw Ebay. i had a price consistent with NADA and a VIN number, email looked legit.

I am  on Ebay all the time --the Security Center was hard to find and there were no warnings about the things you know scammers are doing until I found that site.

Ebay, be more proactive in protecting those of us who rely on your good name. Ebay, you need to post the simple language message where all can see it upfront when we sign in.  
something like

Ebay does not have agents.
Ebay does not have a warehouse.
Ebay is not a shipping company, they ship nothing.
Ebay has nothing to do with other sites.
Ebay does not condone the use of Western Union, Money Packs, Vanilla Cards, Gift Cards, MoneyGram or any other method of paying outside of your account.
Ebay is not an escrow company, they do not hold anyone's money.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

ebay motors scam

Just had an incident for the same as mentioned previously. I caught it right away because hubby was approached last year with one- but the guys was "deploying" and wanted the money to feed his family ...plays on the heartstrings, doesn't it?

This one was for an ATV- for a steal. (as follows)
Hi again, now I'm in Bismarck, North Dakota back with my parents after the divorce and the atv is already at the eBay warehouse here in Bismarck along with title and all the paperwork and they will handle the transaction regarding shipping, payment and paper exchange. You will have free delivery and 7 days to inspect it before I receive any money, the atv arriving at you in 3-5 days.
If for some reason you won't like it (I know this is not going to happen cause it's in excellent condition) it will be shipped back to me on my expense and eBay will refund your money. So if you want to make this deal just reply with your first and last name, delivery address including zip code and phone number and I will forward your info to ebay so they can send you all the details.

Thanks
madelinecook1988@gmail.com

I hope this helps anyone out there. It's probably a throw away account, but who knows?

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

my wife & Son just got scammed by the same story.   Our own fault, really hate people 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

Do you really think a $7000 motorcycle priced at $1000 is NOT a scam? I'm sorry, but COME ON!!!

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

My husband and I almost fell for the same scam. Woman who’s husband died last month and wanted to get rid of RV for $4200 but looked up comparables and the same one 3 years older sold for 28,000. Same thing, wanted paid with eBay gift cards, free shipping, the whole nine. Called the dealership, that advertised it for her through eBay,  to ask about the ad and they said total scam.  Emailed the person back and said we know it’s a scam. They came back with no it’s not a scam, they’ve never stolen and how dare we accuse them of it. Said to call number on invoice and ask for the legitimacy but there’s no seller ID. 

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

Just got caught up in the same scam, Didnt send any money but the scammer is useing the name of Linda Polson at 5501 Woolworth Ave. Omaha Ne. 68106. She is trying to sell a 2002 Toyota Tacoma for $1400.00 on Graigslist. Beware she only wanted gift cards. Hope she rots in hell.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

The first red flag, a really large red flag, is the super low price, a fraction of what they normally sell for.  This is the bait.  It makes you think, "This seller has no idea what this is really worth and I had better jump on it before someone else does."  If the price really was that low, the seller could get rid of it locally in an afternoon.

The second red flag is the "story."  When you sell something, do you share your life story or do you just describe the item?  It is almost always a "woman" who (take your pick) is widowed, going through a divorce, lost a child in horrible accident and the vehicle was her son's who died, or she is getting deployed in the military.  I have even seen scams where the "seller" has used a combination, such as "I got this in a divorce and just want to get rid of it, and I'm getting deployed and don't have time to sell it so eBay is going to take care of it for me."

No legitimate transaction begins on another website such as craiglist, facebook marketplace, letgo, offerup, etc., and then  is finished on eBay.  Not ever, not never.  It doesn't happen.  Any time and every time the so-called seller tells you that eBay will take care of the transaction (usually using "buyer protection" for your safety, you know), you know 100% it is a scam.  Always, no exceptions.

When the seller tells you the vehicle is already at the eBay shipping center (and sometimes already in a "shipping container"), you know it's a scam.  eBay does not have shipping centers and does not stuff shipping containers with anything.

Free shipping.  So the seller is selling you a 2015 Toyota Camry for $1600 and shipping is free.  A friend of mine inherited a vehicle recently and rather than go get it (due to covid concerns), she  had it delivered.  Shipping was over $1,000.   So someone is going to sell you a car (truck, boat, RV) for a super low price and ship it to you on their dime.  Do the math.  And then they promise you that you have five days to decide if you want to keep it and only then will "eBay" release the payment to them.  More on that in moment.  Oh, and in the very rare case that you decide you don't want to keep the vehicle after five days of inspecting it, the seller will also pay for return shipping, no cost to you.  Again, do the math.

Payment in gift cards is ALWAYS a scam.  Would you sell anything at all and require that payment be in gift cards?  I go for cold, hard cash myself.   They ask you to give them the card numbers.  So you do it, knowing that it's no problem since eBay won't release the money until after you let them know you're keeping the vehicle.  Only problem is, the very second you give them the card numbers, your money is gone, forever, and cannot be traced. 

These scams work, over and over, all day, every day, because people want to get something for (almost) nothing.  If it sounds too good to be true, unless you can see it in person and touch it and inspect it, it literally IS too good to be true and all you're doing is paying a lot of money for a picture on the internet.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

It's not a she.   It's some hairy dude sitting in an internet cafe in eastern Europe.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

The best scam story I saw was there was a guy in the Air Force in Colorado who was going to deliver his RV in a Air Force cargo plane (C-131, I believe) to an airport near where the buyer lived, FOR FREE!

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

ebay motors scam

its a scam they try to sell me a car 1,500 nice 2012 toyota something is like a suv i was like wow really ok so i email the lady then she said that she gonna be deployed so she dont need the car couse there is no sense of paying the storage and the insurance for i think she said 9 months so thats why she is selling it i was again like ok but when i ask where can i meet her so i can see the car she staryed to talk about the ebay thing thats when i was like oh no u aint gonna get me .i had replayd to her email and i said that i thought she was in same city i was and then i was just messing with her saying that i would like to see the car and see how it drives and that i really need a car but i dont give my info out couse there is alot of scammers out there on line im waiting for her reply now and see what she will say lol.but yeah thats a scam so dont do it hun

Message 24 of 24
latest reply