cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's Reman Parts are Junk - OEM Used is a Better Way to Go!

Last weekend, I helped a friend diagnose a no-start condition on a Mercedes E320.  The vehicle is super clean and well maintained, but is is a 1999 model.  After 25 years, the starter failed and I confirmed that it had good power and ground at the starter when cranked.

After installing and returning THREE reman units which did not work, he goes on eBay and buys an OEM used part for $45.  He first bench-tested the used OEM part and it worked fine.  Installed it in the vehicle and cranks right over.

To me, this is sad.  We are a couple of years away from receiving either a box of parts that are completely unassembled, or a junk part with a new sticker on it.  The consumer should demand more.

I advised my friend to elevate his complaint to the retailer's corporate office.  Keep in mind that this starter is in the $500 price range.  For that, it should be a quality unit.

I would suggest sending a bill for your time to the retailer when you get what is supposed to be a reman part.  

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Today's Reman Parts are Junk - OEM Used is a Better Way to Go!

For that price, I would have bought the parts and rebuilt it myself.

I bought 1 re-manufactured part years ago and I told myself, never again.

If I can't rebuild it, I'll go with new parts.

You would think for that price, it would be good quality, but a lot of places buy the cheapest junk they can find to rebuild some of those items.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 2
latest reply