cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller representing a FLOOD DAMAGED vehicle as "theft recovery."

A seller is misrepresenting a flood damaged 2008 Dutchmen 26L travel trailer as a "theft recovery."  This 2008 Dutchmen 26L, VIN 47CTDEN238G527668, was sold at Insurance Auto Auction (IAAI) Kansas City, KS on November 22, 2017, Lane A item 4013, stock #20858833, primary damage FLOOD, secondary damage left side.  The seller has listed the unit as a "theft recovery" with a non-refundable $500 "deposit" at end of sale.

In our particular business we say that this travel trailer has "been swimming."  I am familiar with this seller and his business practices, but this is so blatantly deceptive I am compelled to ask:  is there anything one can do to protect potential buyers from this sort of fraud?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I have been doing a little reading and have come to the conclusion that I am incredibly, laughably, naïve about what eBay has become.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@naawrote:

I have been doing a little reading and have come to the conclusion that I am incredibly, laughably, naïve about what eBay has become.

I don't know that it's Ebay (As much as they seem to be inept and unhelpful...) as much as it just is that there are a LOT of crooked people out there- and the prospect of getting good money for big-ticket items by someone who will likely be buying "blind", naturally makes them all come out of the woodwork, because it's not something they could pull-off loclally, where people would come and look first...but is easy when the potential buyer is 2000 miles away, and has virtually no recourse afterwards.

Then again, people are foolish for buying that way. They're just rolling the dice. And it's really impossible for Ebay to do anything, because unless they were to personally see every vehicle, there is no way of them knowing who is telling the truth, or if the truth is somewhere in the middle- which is why, even in real-life, vehicle sales are as-is.

The only sane way to buy is to expect the worst, and to figure that the other guy is trying to screw you. Either inspect and know what you're getting before-hand..or like Mike said, pay no more than scrap.

Funny thing is, not only can us honest people sleep good...but oftentimes, things work out better for us anyway! I listed a big, top brand toy-hauler for the guy I work for. It was burnt- gutted inside. Full disclosure and detailed pics, of course....the thing end up going for insane money, to someone who wanted to make a stealth cargo hauler! (I believe it went for like $15K or something, if memory serves!)

On the other hand, if people think you're trying to hide something or fudge the truth...even someone who might be interested in a damaged vehicle for the right price, is either going to walk, or want it for way less than what he'd normally pay.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply