cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Failed to Honor 10-Year Warranty - I Was Refunded!

I had a suspension kit that I purchased here on eBay back in early 2022.  I installed the parts, had a lifetime alignment done and it was dialed in perfectly.

Earlier this year I started hearing suspension creaking and noise.  The alignment shop took a look at the car and indicated that the suspension parts were failing.  The alignment was moving due to the failure of the bushings.

So, I contacted the seller and gave them all of the documentation and asked for a warranty replacement of the parts.  Not only that, but I tested the "return" address with a letter and it was returned for an invalid address.  Apparently, they provide a bad address for a return.  They ignored me, so I filed a dispute with my credit card company.

I won the dispute and the money has been recovered from the original seller.  

eBay should require that anyone who offers a warranty on a product purchase a surety bond to guarantee that they won't snake out of the warranty claim.  I recovered my money and I encourage others to do the same when they are ripped off by sellers who pull this kind of stuff.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Manufacturers won't honor eBay purchases  unless the seller is an authorized distributor. 

Sellers copy what is written on the box or from the specs on the manufacturer's website. Because that happens eBay's warranty policy says if it's under warranty a link to full written warranty or the full written text of the warranty must be provided.  That way you know how to register the warranty and the number to call if you need service.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You are wrong, dead wrong.

The seller is also the manufacturer so the offer comes from them.  There is no prohibition of warranties coming from online purchases.  

In my case, they went through the motions and then stopped communicating.  They probably thought that I'd give up but I've settled larger issues than this with good letter-writing skills.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Dead wrong, huh? You did not say the seller was also the manufacturer. 

That does change things. 

And I never said online warranties are prohibited. 

But it does not matter if the seller was an authorized distributor or they're the manufacturer  or neither.  Any seller can claim there's a warranty.

However, eBay MBG is 30 days. They can say whatever but eBay won't  refund you if it's  past 30 days. If you got a refund it was because like you said you filed a chargeback with your credit card. (a buyer smart enough to pay with a credit card)  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, I always use a credit card for purchases.  It allows a greater level of protection.  As it turns out, this seller is not honoring their warranties and I referred the matter to eBay's litigation department.  However, my credit card carrier saw that the warranty was part of the item and if they don't want to honor the warranty, they have to give the money back.

The old parts are in the recycle bin.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply