cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers door lock getting harder to unlock

On my 98 Ranger it can take 10 or 20 seconds of jiggling the key in the lock before I can get it to unlock. (Yea no jokes about it not worth locking.) With over 250,000 miles either the lock or the key is worn but the ignition lock is fine. What's the cheapest way to solve this before I get completly locked out. The passenger lock doesn't work at all.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Take a look-see inside the door- might just be rust on the back side of the lock cylinder or on the linkage.

If the cylinder is worn internally, or so rusted that it's not repairable, there's a locksmith who sells on here who will sell you a new cylinder and cut it to work with your key (You send  him a pick of your key)- Did that with the cylinder on the hatch on my Eggscursion- cost under $30- works like a charm!

I saved an email from him...I can look for his name if ya need it.

In the meantime, spray that baby up with some penetratin' erl on the back side if it needs it, and some machine erl or graphite in the cylinder....might be able to resurrect it.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

*You send him a PIC (as in picture) of your key**

That was a poor choice for a typo in a discussion about locks!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Copying the key will just copy the worn profile and still have the same problem. I'll check with my Ford dealer if they can get the original code for something that old and cut a key for it. Less than $5.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@atikovi

The dealership can get you a new key based on VIN, not that much $

Some times that is all it takes, and a good lube, but that is taking off the door panel.

But if the tumblers are shot, you are looking at a complete replacement of every lock, ouch.

I would go the dealer route, a copy of a worn out key, is still a worn out key.

I have issues with the locks on the explorer I just got, but then again I never lock doors. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

Copying the key will just copy the worn profile and still have the same problem. I'll check with my Ford dealer if they can get the original code for something that old and cut a key for it. Less than $5.

Assuming that the key being worn is the problem. But if that were so, it would likely be doing the same thing in the ig[nition[ggy cylinder too, no?

I don't think I've ever had a worn key in my life. Only if it was sketchy from the day it was first cut..... Unless ya use 'e, to cut baling wire or something, keys last for decades....

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

And BTW: A locksmith can still easily cut a good key from a worn one or a pic of a worn one. They just need to tell the positions of the dips and ridges along the horizontal plane. If the key is warn, those dips and ridges (I have no idea what they really call them) may be just a little rounded off, and so not trip the tumblers....but it'll still be obvious to a locksmith where it needs to be.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

And BTW: A locksmith can still easily cut a good key from a worn one or a pic of a worn one. They just need to tell the positions of the dips and ridges along the horizontal plane. If the key is warn, those dips and ridges (I have no idea what they really call them) may be just a little rounded off, and so not trip the tumblers....but it'll still be obvious to a locksmith where it needs to be.

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

Sorry, no, that is not how it works.

A lock smith has no way to know the peaks and valleys of an old worn out key.

I ran a fleet of 40 aircraft and cut hundreds of keys.

They are made of brass, and they will wear down.

I kept a key for every ship, never to be used.

Lost key no problem, I can cut a new one in seconds, and still have my master key.

( I have also had ignition switches so worn, you could start them with a screwdriver )

Now something like a house door lock, where you have a model number, that is different.

Yes a lock smith can do that.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I dunno about aeroplanes, Dave, but with cars, there are a very limited number of key patterns for every make. For instance: For a long time  (70's through 90's) Chevy only had 17 different keys. I used to save keys from cars I'd pick up for junk, just so that I'd have 'em for when I came across one that didn't have keys and was in a difficult spot. I had about 14 Chevy keys....I could unlock almost any Chevy (Errr....any GM, really). Given the small number of possible combinations, and the fact that even a worn key isn't worn but just a few hundredths of an inch...they can figure it out.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Replace both lock cylinders. A pair of new ones will be about $25. Used even cheaper.   Cost to get the locked vehicle opened 1 time would be more than that unless you have AAA.  Waiting for AAA a pain also.

That does not include labor.  Not hard to replace.

I have had vehicles with the ignition key different than the door key. Not a big deal to unlock with one key, and start the vehicle with another.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

On my 95 Tacoma one key fits the gas door, door locks and the ignition. I was having a hard time getting the gas door lock to open with the worn out key. It still worked in the ignition and door locks. I called the Toyota dealer, took my registration, drivers license and they punched out a Toyota key for $5.00.

Beats the c**p outta changing lock cylinders. JMO

Message 11 of 11
latest reply