cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER BEWARE Canadian made cars

before you buy a car get the VIN number and run it and make sure it is not made in Canada. Chrysler and a few other automakers will not warranty the car. These dealers will sell these cars at Great unbelievable prices and they don't disclose that there is no warranty from the manufacturer. They did this to protect they're dealers in the US from Black Market sellers buying canadian-made cars in undercutting the dealers. I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum and I went through hell to have a gas tank replaced under warranty that was causing serious stalling issues making the car very unsafe to drive. My advice is if the car is made in Canada do not purchase it some of these safety recalls will happen long after the car has been bought and for the lifetime of the car. Run the VIN number make sure the car was made in the United States. I've seen models on eBay as new as 2016 made in Canada with unbelievable prices not fully disclosing. I think it should be illegal and I have emailed the FTC and my congressman.

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

I didn't see any of those things but here's the bottom line. All of that does not matter. If the car is made in Canada and is in the United States it will not be covered by Chrysler

Message 61 of 97
latest reply

I posted several articles in here about no warranty from a Chrysler made in Canada in the US.

Message 62 of 97
latest reply

I've just stumbled upon this thread and the first thing that hits me is the repeated bleatings by the OP about "Chrysler cars made in Canada".
For the record their Magnum, as well as  every  other Magnum, Charger and 300 series Mopars were/are still final assembled in Chryslers' Brampton, Ontario Canada plant. 
Challengers too, for that matter.
Always have been.

I suggest that perhaps the OP is referring to the models that were manufactured originally to be sold in the USA.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

Message 63 of 97
latest reply

OP tends a bit toward passive-agressive, once going on about how all cars built in Canada have no factory warranty in the USA, and then barely mentioning that cars built for Canadian consumption and then brought over to the USA are the ones without warranty.

Message 64 of 97
latest reply

I know this because I just went through it but you can read the link there's many other stories on the same thing

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-06-02/travel/0206020080_1_chrysler-vehicles-warranty

Message 65 of 97
latest reply

@thekux wrote:

I know this because I just went through it but you can read the link there's many other stories on the same thing

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-06-02/travel/0206020080_1_chrysler-vehicles-warranty

People see your links, but you are having trouble telling the difference between a car BUILT in Canada and a car SOLD in Canada.

"...any Chrysler vehicle bought in Canada and resold in the U.S. won't carry factory warranty coverage."

Notice the word "bought". Nowhere in your article does it mention where the cars are built, because where the cars are built does not matter.

Message 66 of 97
latest reply

Cars that are built in Canada that are made for the Canadian Market that are imported in the United States won't be covered. I've had that happen to me just last year I'm going to let people know it and it's up to you if you want to just buy one or not worry about  it

Message 67 of 97
latest reply

What Chrysler does is check the VIN number and see if the car was properly imported into the United States. If they determine was not you will have no warranty on it. And some of these prices I've seen on these cars for sale in eBay makes me very suspicious they're not covered that they're grey market cars. I wood check the VIN and verify with Chrysler that it's covered. I was told by a used car dealer a Chrysler that was not properly imported into the United States a lifetime warranty on my gas tank because of it. I fought with them for about three weeks before they decided to go ahead and do it because I had such low mileage on the car. The dealer did not disclose this information to me when I bought the car and it was at a very good price. I'm just here to let people know that canadian-made cars may not be covered

Message 68 of 97
latest reply

Let's move on.  Next time, buy a Mercedes or Volvo.

Message 69 of 97
latest reply

Whatever makes your boat float Antonio

Message 70 of 97
latest reply

Chrysler filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and that killed all warranties short of good willing them. Maybe that's what happened.

One of my sons has a Canadian built Camaro that has never had a warranty issue unresolved. Even a few years after the warranty was up GM stepped in and warrantied the plug wires under a Campaign.

Message 71 of 97
latest reply

It depends if the car was imported properly. There's a grey market. What the grey market is is the cars are bought in Canada and brought into the US. Undercutting American dealers and this is what Chrysler did to protect them. That car might have been made in Canada but sold by a dealer in the United States. Chrysler at this point still will not warranty a Canadian made car that was bought in Canada then imported into the US.

Message 72 of 97
latest reply

Grey/gray market cars of any make sans warranty are nothing new. At some point it becoms preaching to the choir. If you feel you have been grieviously wronged then sue the seller.

As for Ethanol destroying whatever, Ethanol is made in E-10, E-15, and E-85. Many cars will run with no problems on 10 or 15, not so much on 85 unless it's a flex fuel car.

Whether the damaged cars are 10 and 15 only I do not know but if 85 is run in a car in which it is specifically stated 85 is not acceptable then there are going to be issues.

I haven't seen the ad but if the car has a salvage title then all bets are off. NO car is declared a total over minor corner damage.

I've been looking for a decent small truck recently and found a nice one in Wichita, KS. In the ad it stated the truck had a salvage title because the right rear taillamp and the corner of the bed was damaged at one point. **bleep**. No way, no how.

Message 73 of 97
latest reply

Makes me wonder what's next, Rip- someone saying their vee-hickle was totaled because the left rear tire went flat? 😄 (Although, that might just top 50% market value on a Fiat.... 😉  )

Where's that Canadian guy who used to post here? What was his name? Gordon Lightfoot? No, wait...Mr. Elmwood! I'm sure he'd have an opinion; probably something to do with polar bears urinating in the back seats voiding the warranty.

Message 74 of 97
latest reply

My car did not have a salvage title. It was just not imported properly. So that means the car was bought in Canada and then brought into the United States. That's the grey market. That's why you need to read that link I posted and read it well. Doesn't have to be a salvage to have the warranty voided. I'm just telling you from my experience with my 2006 Magnum there is a check valve in the fuel tank that they figured out was being screwed up somehow with the ethanol destroying seals and would cause the stall. I have fought and fought with Chrysler than decided to go ahead and warranty my car because I think I've had such low miles on it at the time. I technically still have no warranty even though the gas tank has a lifetime warranty. it really sucks after you got over 16 Grand into the car.

Message 75 of 97
latest reply