cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road King front end wobble

1skull2many
Enthusiast
Has anyone out there encountered a wobble in the front end at 70 mph. I have a 2005 Road King Classic and suddenly I have this problem. I've checked spolkes, air pressure and balance. I have read something about a class action suit because a police officer died because of this I don't want to end up like that. Any suggestions out there
Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Wydeglyde, that may be referred to as "Letting it shake its Head!!"

Perfect example, a steel bridge grating like crossing the lake where I live. Often you are better off loosening your grip on the bars and letting it do its Thing (within reason). This often works much better than stiffening up and holding on tight..
Message 16 of 114
latest reply

Ah, nothing like a chopper with an extended front end and mild rake to handle those sweepers!

After I got my Venture, which had set in a damp machine shed on soil for who knows how long, I experienced "shakes" when slowing down, passing through a certain speed. If I released my grip, it would try to wobble. I replaced the front tire, which took care of the problem. It fast sweepers, however, it did want to wander slightly, and reading the Venture forum (link on my 'Me' page) I found out that was a common problem, easily fixed with a heavier fork brace. I found a "SuperBrace" here on ebay and haven't had a problem since.

My Trident once went into a high speed wobble when I was giving my speed-demon daughter a ride, and the problem was finally found when I changed fork oil, and one side didn't have any.
Message 17 of 114
latest reply

I haven't had any problems with expanded metal bridges, rain grooves or gravel. The problem only comes in a curve where I *might* be coming in a little too hot. The tendency is to grip a little tighter on the bars, but I proved to myself that my inputs cause the shake.
Message 18 of 114
latest reply

brentco7
Enthusiast
hey wobble miester.i like to tighten the steering bearings tighter than harley recommends,just to the point of sticking and then back off one quarter turn.i just did this to my 05 ultra classic that had a wobble,cleared up completely.of course that is after i checked the wheel alignment,very accurately.the triple tree/fork set up on these bikes is designed to be very "loose" to start with, so everything has to be in good alignment to avoid problems.the heim joint,rubber mount system of alignment allows staggering amounts of adjustments,and allows an equal amount of possibilities for misalignment.email me if you get it solved.i am brent.
Message 19 of 114
latest reply

Do you really think the front end is set up loose??.. it may just have "run in a bit" and need a slight adjustment..
Message 20 of 114
latest reply

cwpvt10070in
Enthusiast
Hey, This is a huge problem with touring models, and i believe the fatboys and Heritage softails, i cant be sure about those twso though. It is a technical problem and i am not a technicaly inclined person but i will do my best. The wobble is due to a problem in the rear of the bike that makes the rear wheel go in a slightly differnt direction then the front wheel. I had this problem on a left sweep and was unable to correct and crashed, i got lucky and am fine. two products on the market are designed to fix the problem, both run about $400.00. True Track and runstr8. i have the true track and it has fixed the problem and reduced alot of anxiety for me. Good luck and after my accident i highly urge you to fix the problem as well.
Message 21 of 114
latest reply

lswift
Enthusiast
Here is a link for a reveiw of the True Trac. Looks like it should work.

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/truetrack.asp
Message 22 of 114
latest reply

As much as I'd love to have a new Harley, I can't justify doing so until these bikes are built right from the manufacturer. This wobble problem has been around for quite a few years, and should have been figured out and fixed a long time ago. Buyers shouldn't have to spend another $400 to fix something that shouldn't be happening.

After several articles written about misalignment,
this is the first I've read about a bushing problem, but it makes sense. Do any other bikes have rubber bushings in their swingarms?
Message 23 of 114
latest reply

Norton Command0d0
Message 24 of 114
latest reply

lswift
Enthusiast
From what I have read it is the high speed twisties that cause the problem. Which isnt what a bagger is made for. IMO
Message 25 of 114
latest reply

I remember having to reshim a Norton Comandos' "islostic suspension" chassis. They would vibrate your fillings out if shimmed wrong.....
Message 26 of 114
latest reply

I do not remeber the actual swing arm to have rubber bushings in their pivot, but the entire engine/rear arm assembly was rubber mounted and isolated from the reast of the frame.....
Message 27 of 114
latest reply

Knid of like how my brain is isolated from my fingers when I type...Nothing like dyslexic fnigres.....
Message 28 of 114
latest reply

bazango
Guide
one*kick says:

"ONE" of the causes of front end wobble on this model, (just rode one last week with the same problem) is the "neck bearings" get "Grooved" into where they ride, (especially with bikes that are mostly ridden freeway and straight line) the bearings actually "eat" a "Dish" into where they ride, and when going threw a corner, "the bearings", "Try" to get back in the groove! Causing a "wobble"!

This is only "one" of the causes, BUT one of the most common, and easiest to fix! IMO
Message 29 of 114
latest reply

bazango
Guide
Brain rubber mounted and isolated from the rest of the frame! Hah. Me too.
Message 30 of 114
latest reply