cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

Anybody remember Them I bought quite a few Bikes from him
He was a Friend & I even worked for him for a couple of Years.
Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

scarpasgrl
Enthusiast
I GREW UP IN PORT AND AM YOUNGER THAN PROLLY ALL OF YOU ! SAL AND CREW WERE AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE NICEST FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE AND BUSINESSMEN I HAVE MET SINCE BEING A CHILD TILL MY ADULT LIFE ! LOVE TO THEM ALWAYS!
Message 31 of 122
latest reply

lynz1x
Enthusiast
I live in Port Washington and I still see the Family around. If I remember correctly his family may own competition glass. They were closed down in the 90's (for tax evation)...they still own the building and every once in a while you'll see a motorcycle rolled out from behind the paper covered glass. They are definatly a part of Port Washington's history and its ashame that the building has never been used for anything. I have one of thier original shirts that I think I'm going to list on ebay......
Message 32 of 122
latest reply

"They were closed down in the 90's (for tax evation)."

Say it ain't so! Those fine ("...THEY DON'T COME ANY FINER!!!"), honest businessmen engaged in tax evasion? LOL!
Message 33 of 122
latest reply

hailwood2001
Enthusiast
Back in 66-67 I rode my Norton from Brooklyn to a bike shop in the Village, that I believe was also called Ghost Motorcycles ? Lots of cool bikes used to gather here on eves and weekends.
Message 34 of 122
latest reply

Sent my 69 Triumph Trophy to Ghost Motors around 1971 to sell on consignment...saw a buddy of mine driving it around a month later... first news I got they had sold it !

They were as good a group of Snake Oil saleman as L.I. saw during that period....most customers knew to count how many fingers they had after dealing there.
Message 35 of 122
latest reply

well if anybody See's Sal Tell him the Satan ( like the Devil )
from Astoria, NY
said Hello & hope he is in Good Health

I knew Sal from when he First opened & he was a Shrewd Business
Man
Thats how he could have all them Bikes that he had for Sale
and he was a Thru Freind!
no matter what some might Say

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 36 of 122
latest reply

Sal sold a chopped Harley he named Dixie to a animal doctor in Great Neck....the bike had more class than it's new owner who got his jollies beating the sheet out of his former wife. Hey Sal make a midnight run and repo the bike 🙂
Message 37 of 122
latest reply

wsch5706832p65
Enthusiast
You are bringing back great memories
Message 38 of 122
latest reply

T- shirt

yes, I have a 1968 version,
with George Rockett astride a F3 Ducati single

I love Ghost because they were racing supporters
of AAMRR, etc back in the day.......
Message 39 of 122
latest reply

mikeandjenny0406
Enthusiast
Yes! That place was a walk in museum. I understand he rented motorcycle to movie directors. What happen to that joint?
Message 40 of 122
latest reply

yajustgotaloveit
Enthusiast
I used to read the Ghost Adds in Cycle Magazine when I was a kid.
I remember dreaming of the Benelli Bonanza, and all the beautiful Italian motorcycles depicted in the Ghost adds! Best adds ever!
I also remember the Cosmos adds!
The classiest Motorcycles ever made were the various Itilian bikes in the 1960's, no doubt in my mind about that!
Message 41 of 122
latest reply

Yes I do remember Ghost Motorcycle, have fond memories.

DO YOU KNOW WHERE/ IF I CAN GET THE T-SHIRTS ANYWHERE?

HARRY
neros9@gmail.com
Message 42 of 122
latest reply

I remember Ghost Motorcycles as a big sponsor of racers. Barry Higgins rode for them in the early days of motocross in the late '60s. The owner's son Sal DeFeo also rode their bikes. I think they ran CZs. I would see them at Indian Head in Pepperell when the Trans-Am series came through. I was working part-time for Randy Wilson, who had Greeves motorcycles. His mechanic, Dick Niemi, road-raced against Ghost's George Rockett in AAMRR. George was one of the best road racers on the East Coast. I never had any direct dealings with the shop, but they were definitely well known all through New England and the East, right up there with Bettencourt's. SO, does anyone remember R. G. Wilson's Triumph shop in West Boylston, Mass.? Sportsman's Cycles (Joe Bolger's old shop) in Holden?
Message 43 of 122
latest reply

I remember going to Ghost's in the early 80's with an old boyfriend and his brother to buy a HD police special....obviously later stripped down. I was in awe seeing bike crates that contained Ducati's. I also remember the basement that had bikes and parts. Was the door to the basement entered from the front of the building?? I vaguely remember seeing bikes being pushed up to the sidewalk. Very cool place for a 'biker chick' in my early 20's.
Message 44 of 122
latest reply

marcomini1
Enthusiast
the basement was accessed through the front of the store. it was on the right side of the building as you faced the front. it was a giant gradual cement ramp way that led to the basement. when the bikes were drive up through the "tunnel" it sounded like the thunder of the Gods!! long live Ghost motors!!!!!!!!!!! Mark
Message 45 of 122
latest reply