cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Christmas Tree Layout

Today I hit the lumber yard for some plywood, boards, screws, etc. I'm going to build a new HO layout for the tree. After last year's running it on the carpet, I decided I needed more work to do. Right. So, I'll post pics and reports as I go along. We are going to dismantle the dining table and store it in the basement for the season. That is the space I need for this layout. We don't feed anybody but us in the kitchen during the holidays anyway, so we don't really need the table. Well, gotta get started...... SmileyCentral.com
Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

N scale wrap-around-the-walls in dining room would sure look good with the tree in the middle. We don't have a dining room. Just a dining space in the great room which isn't that great.....more like a large living room......large by Newfy standards that is. Small by the rest of the world. Who designs a house withoout a dining room or a big enough kitchen to be called eat-in. This is a weird house...... SmileyCentral.com -- Edited by ginzokid at 10/22/2008 4:12 AM PDT
Message 2 of 89
latest reply

I posted some pictures of the new tree layout in a new album. More will come as the work progresses. B-)
Message 3 of 89
latest reply

Looks good so far,A+ for effort. ]:)
Message 4 of 89
latest reply

I'm sure with your talent, it will be a stunning pice of work when it's done. Actually, I have planned to do a "down and dirty" version. I mean, it's only for a brief period of time. The layout will never be finished either. I'll add things to it each year. B-) -- Edited by ginzokid at 10/29/2008 3:53 AM PDT
Message 5 of 89
latest reply

Yea right and then all of a sudden the bug will bite. ]:)
Message 6 of 89
latest reply

Pete, Looks great, not much seems to hold you back! Good stuff, Charles
Message 7 of 89
latest reply

I just posted some progress photos. Notice that I have covered most of the foam with plaster cloth, the cork is going down and so is the track. The one tunnel has it's liner in place and is painted black inside. There will be a top put on it and the beginning of the mountain is blocked out by foam which will be carved to shape. The one picture shows another place for a long tunnel, but I have decided that I need more open flat space, so it will be made shorter. Note the hole cut in the base for the extension cord that is needed for the tree lights. There is a lot going on here, but my purpose is to show you the steps taken to build this thing. I'll finish laying the cork and track this week and build the second short tunnel. Then it is a waiting game as I need some portal wing walls on order from Walthers. I'll use that time to build and decal the G&D cars that Barry painted for me. I might do some basic scenery under the bridges too. Stay tuned...... B-) PS: At this time I have no plans to ballast the track. Remember, this is only a Christmas tree layout and not meant to be a contest quality undertaking. -- Edited by ginzokid at 10/30/2008 4:20 AM PDT
Message 8 of 89
latest reply

now it's getting exciting, even starting to look like the snow has been falling (in places) can't wait to see the G&D train in action. ]:)
Message 9 of 89
latest reply

More progress photos. I have run a train too, but I can't post a movie here. I still have to wait for the wing walls. This will hold me up for a while as I said before. But, I'll contour what I can for now and start a little scenery if I have time this weekend. I wonder if this little project and my pictures are a help to anyone or a prompt to scratch that itch..... ]:)
Message 10 of 89
latest reply

looking more better all the time. ]:)
Message 11 of 89
latest reply

g-pa1
Enthusiast
Pete, As always your creations look great. I only hope you are doing this layout upstairs as it just may need to have some lumberjacks available to carry it upstairs to the dining area. I suggest that you get some saw horses to put it on and get a small 3-4 foot tree to place on the layout. Place some white sheets around the base to hide the horses legs. That way it will be easier to see your Christmas tree layout. It looks too nice to be down on the floor hidden behind a big tree and it will be easier to get to any tunnels or rerailing situations that Prin the Wonder Dog might happen on! Gene
Message 12 of 89
latest reply

The layout is being built in the basement. You think Kimmers would want all the sawdust and plaster and foam bits floating around the living room? She also vetoed the idea of a new small tree, one with lights already on it. So no saw horses or putting it on top of the dining room table. It will be on the floor as designed with our faithful old 6' tree. The are two new pictures showing some sculpted foam and the beginnings of the profile boards in the album. Enjoy! Better yet, hop on the ferry and give me some help! B-)
Message 13 of 89
latest reply

g-pa1
Enthusiast
Oboy, Is Prin tree broken? You may have an automatic tree waterer even though it may be an artificial tree! Prin likes to nose the engine as it goes by. She has never knocked it off the track. And she is a lady not a water dog. Wouldn't dare mess in the house. -- Edited by ginzokid at 11/03/2008 4:14 AM PST
Message 14 of 89
latest reply

Pete, thanks for posting, it is fun watching the progress, Charles.
Message 15 of 89
latest reply