cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Removal Tool FAQ

Using image cleanup and have some questions? Check out the following FAQs to help you out.

WIll this feature work on my device?

This feature only works on eBay iOS and Android native apps. Please make sure to install the latest version of the eBay app (5.41 or newer for iOS; and 5.41 or newer for Android(this requires android 6.0 and higher to install).

Can I use this feature on existing listings or does it only work on new listings?

Image cleanup will work on all listings. 

For new listings, simply upload photos and follow the on-screen prompts or go to the edit photo screen, and tap the image cleanup icon to get started.

Screenshot_20200311-135820.png

Similarly, for existing listings, tap on the photo you want to edit and tap the image cleanup icon to get started.

Why doesn’t the automatic cleanup screen appear every time?

EN6.png

The automatic cleanup only happens for the first uploaded photo to a listing and only when the algorithm feels confident it can remove the background from your image without needing your input.

Even if you do not see an automatic cleanup screen, you can tap on the photo and then the image cleanup icon to remove the background on your own.

What does “framing” my item do?

EN4.png

Each time you use the background removal tool, you will be prompted to frame your item. This allows the algorithm to focus on where your item is in the photo, and helps it provide a better background removal result! 

Please note that framing your item is not the same as cropping the image. Cropping your image can be done in the “Edit photo” screen.

How can I make the touchup more precise?

Whether you are erasing or adding back parts to your image, you can pinch to zoom or use two fingers to pan the image from side to side to focus on the problem areas. By playing around with the zoom level, the touchup will respond differently to the granular areas you are editing. Touch up is a lot more manageable by dragging and releasing your finger from the screen.

Screenshot_20200311-124036.png

Why doesn’t image cleanup work well for my photo?

There are lots of factors affecting the result of your image. The algorithm is constantly learning and we are constantly making improvements. In the meanwhile, here are some things to keep in mind:

• Take well lit photos of your item, avoiding shadows and glares
  • Make sure the item is not in front of a cluttered background with other items or patterned textures
  • Ensure there is sufficient contrast between your item and its background (similarly colored backgrounds make it hard to differentiate between item and background)

If your item is partially transparent or see-thru like a pair of glasses or flower vases, image cleanup will not provide good results. This is an ongoing mystery in the computer vision space that technologists everywhere are figuring out.

I changed my mind, I don’t want to use the cleaned up photo after all. What can I do?

If you haven’t saved the changes while going through the touchup flow to remove the background, you can tap “X” to exit the touchup mode.

However, if you have already saved the changes, you will have to retake the photo or reupload your image to the listing.

Will photos uploaded from desktop also work if I revise the listing on the app?

Yes, as long as it is a photo you’ve uploaded to the listing, you will be able to retrieve it on the app, go through the same process to remove the background.

I don’t want to use image cleanup, can I turn this feature off?

Unfortunately no. It is a regular photo edit feature in the app just like crop and rotate.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Ridiculous that it can't be turned off!!!  It is messing up my photos and there's nothing I can do.  Please fix this ASAP!!!

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply