cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information on white navy uniform

Hello, I found this uniform in my late father's attic in one of those cardboard storage barrels with other family uniforms.  I'm assuming it's US Navy from WWI because my grandfather's name is printed on the inside shirt hem.  He was in the navy then.  But some folks have been trying to tell me this is from WWII. I don't see how, as he was not in WWII. My father had the same name, but was too young for WWII. He was in the US Coast and Geodetic Survey in the early 1950s.  But all the photos I have seen of USC&GS show khaki uniforms.IMG_9022M.JPGIMG_9024M.JPGIMG_9025M.JPGIMG_9026M.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That is wwi for sure, as i have some wwi us navy uniforms, only difference is mine are what they would have worn in winter, vs the lighter fabrics they used then for warmer weather. Hang on to those, for you do not see those come along very often bubby, even if they were not of your family. 

All the best..

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Well the Navy and Coasties have winter blues and summer whites, I'm assuming the USC&GS have (or had) something similar. Khakis are for officers and CPO's. The modern whites have zippers.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks. My Dad entered the Coast Survey as a commissioned officer.  There are many photos of him in the service, and he's always in khaki.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That is wwi for sure, as i have some wwi us navy uniforms, only difference is mine are what they would have worn in winter, vs the lighter fabrics they used then for warmer weather. Hang on to those, for you do not see those come along very often bubby, even if they were not of your family. 

All the best..

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you.  If WWI, than these are my grandfather's.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Excellent to hear! I sent you a quick msg a minute ago in regards to the uniform and grandfather as well....

Message 6 of 6
latest reply