cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need opinion on this item with provenance. Says tooth pic Etc. Say Confederate Civil war

120.JPG115.JPG116.JPG118.JPG127.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I need opinion on this item with provenance. Says tooth pic Etc. Say Confederate Civil war

Just observations:

1.  The date 6/22/65 would be 6/22/1965

2. The item had been given away prior to the war so it would seem that it was not carried by the soldier during the war.

3. If the recorded information is correct, you would be safe calling it a pre-war toothpick.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

yes it a little unclear where the toothpick was at the tie of the soldiers death. But is it really a toothpick or is it a screwdriver. If it a toothpick why the gold and citrine or yellow diamond?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I would have guessed it to be a pocket screwdriver - circa 1880-1890. Even back then, a personal toothpick was shaped like a toothpick, and was made of ivory or gold. Its value as an object from the Civil War would be based solely on the information on the card.  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I agree that it looks more like a screwdriver, But for what. The flat head is laes than an 1/8" and why would it be made og gold with a yellow diamond or citrine. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Don't let the shape fool you.  This looks far too ornate to be a screwdriver.  Could still be a tooth pick or even a cuticle tool. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I agree with you about it not being a screw driver. Yes it is to ornate and highly mechanical as it slides in and out. But you now in order not to get in trouble with a future purchaser and getting bad feedback I need several opinions as to what it really is. maybe though the provenance states that it was given to one male from another doesnt really mean that it is something that a male would use. Anyways any other opinions?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Where does the ''one male to another'' come from?  Rhuhamy (= quiet or calm friend) is usually a woman's name.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

the gift was given to a man from another man and its written on the provenance leter dated 1965 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

NO I am sorry you are correct ti was given to a female.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply